What's new

Warm speaker cable (1 Viewer)

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Recently purchased a whole set of JMLab Speakers for the HK 525.
It sounded quite warm initially when I first used it. Then I decided to rip out the old 16G cable to swap for a Cable talk 3.1 Biwire cable for the 3 front speakers. (Left, Right and Centre)
It sounded the same for the first week, then when the cable is burned in, the sound is quite bright even on a HK525.

I guess the brightness is good for movie, but sometime it gets very annoying when trying to listen to musics.

Can anyone suggests a pair of biwire cable that has a more warm sound. and cost less than $150.

Speaker setup: Front: JMLab Cobalt 816S
Centre: JMLab Chorus LCR700
Rear: JMLab Chorus SR700
SUB: JMLab Electra SW900

Hope someone can suggest a cable.

;)

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Try the Canare 4s11 speaker cable. Affordable and they offer decent sound. You can buy the cables and terminate them yourself (easy to do) or buy them dressed up from one of the custom cable makers. Try and find a cable maker thats honest enough to tell you what cables they have under the fancy tech-Flex wrap though. Most of them use the same cable but the ones that don't list the cable used are usually way over priced.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Have you worked at all on your speaker positioning and taken a critical look at the room? Things like reflections from the walls, floors, etc. come to mind. On another note, there's usually a grace period with things like speakers. If for whatever reason, you find that they're fatiguing, consider bringing them back for a refund while you still can.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it is the speaker, because they sounded quite warm for quite a long time using the cheap 16 G copper cable. Then it sounded bright when I changed to the silver plated cable. So I am pretty sure it is not the positioning or speaker. Just those cable are not suitable for my taste in music. I just want a warmer sound that are coming out from the HK receiver.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well Kiet, I'll tell you up front that I don't buy into this phenomena. However, seeing as this is your personal experience, then wouldn't it make more sense to go back to your 16 gauge wire and the sound you liked?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I should add that a good speaker wire is absolutely transparent and does not colour the sound in any way...in your quest for "warm" speaker wire, what you're looking for is really an inferior speaker cable that doesn't transmit the sound as transparently as would be desirable. You might be better suited by an equalizer if you want to tone the sound down a little (although again, not really desirable...)

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Stay with copper wire and like Chu said, take an honest look at your room. Most of the ills in audio reproduction lie there. Tame the room with some wall treatments first (first reflection point from your mains) before you run off willy-nilly looking for the magic wire elixir.

As a rule,don't look for tone controls in wire, and certainly avoid plated copper wire in your case. And I hope you still have the old speaker wire you liked. Nice speakers , btw.

Good Luck,

BOK

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
How about the Audioquest GR8.
I looked on the internet and it seems like they are having a clearance on the cable. at HCMaudio,
I can get a bi wire pair for about 10 foot $129.
Do you think the audioquest GR8 will be better than the CV4 or CV 6?.

I am thinking of upgrading to a valve amp later for music only.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I happen to agree with Brian. They're good speakers. However, since I take it you still have the 16 gauge wire, why don't you consider putting it back in? Even better would be to have someone else replace or not replace the wires and you try and tell the difference. If you give it an honest shot, maybe you can put to rest whether it's the speakers that you believe now have an edge to them is due to the wire or your coming around to a personal opinion that their sound really isn't to your liking.
I take it you've calibrated the speakers with an SPL, tilted that center channel to get a more coherent sound, and a host of other things already.

I'd imagine tubes might have an audible effect. As to whether that's an upgrade is very much a personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks