What's new

Warm Amps (1 Viewer)

KurtisJ

Agent
What amplifiers are conisdered warm? I have an HK receiver and am looking for all the possibles to power the extra two channels or power the mains.

So what brands are usually considered warm?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
In the "affordable" class of amps (Parasound, Anthem, Outlaw, ATI, Rotel, etc.), I would have to say check out the Parasound and Rotel amps first. These are known to be a bit warmer than the others and mate well with speakers that are on the forward side, like Paradigm and NHT.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Check out the B&K amps. These are warm sounding yet uncoloured amps. I have an B&K AV5000 series 2 amplifier that i pondered selling awhile ago but this amp sounds so good that someone will have to pry it out of my bare hands. I won't give it up.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kurtis,

I have owned many amps (denon, carver, HK, citation, HK signature, adcom, parasound, audiosource....)...the "warmest" amp is a Fosgate 4100 under-rated 60x4, bridgeable to 200 watts (amp weighs close to 50 pounds). The Fosgate 4200/4175/4150/4100 amps were mfg's around 1990, and pop up used once in a while. Email me if you are interested in buying a 4100 (cheap, with box).

I have an HK also and was out this past weekend looking at amps.

I have narrowed my choice down to Bryston and Classe.To me the Bryston is not warm or bright for that matter.But the Classe on the other hand was definately a warm sounding amp.

Depends how much money you have.But put the Classe on the audition list, you won't be dissappointed.

James

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
B&K are the warmest in their price range more than the Rotel or Parasound. Classe are a step up in price but get them if you can afford them. ATI, Adcom are bright to my ears. Listen to them in your setup before deciding

Joseph_Mikhail

Stunt Coordinator
I have a PA4000 and have been very happy with it. You can get the PA2000 (same amp only 2 channels) for $200-300. I believe I saw it on Ubid for $189 (refurbished).

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I consider B&K and Rotel to have a warm sound. Someone mentioned that they felt Parasound was also warm sounding, but I would disagree, I though the 2205 was neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks