What's new

Warehouse 13 on Sci-Fi Channel - Looks Interesting (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What's the tone of this show? Do they play it totally straight, or tongue-in-cheek? How would y'all compare it to Special Unit 2?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I caught the first 2 episodes, and so far, I've enjoyed the show. Looks like another cable show to add to my already full plate of shows for the summer.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

What's the tone of this show? Do they play it totally straight, or tongue-in-cheek? How would y'all compare it to Special Unit 2?
They have fun with it including a good number of jokes here and there. It has been too long since I saw Special Unit 2.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I haven't watched this yet. Is there a way to catch up with the series without watching it on my computer?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Even though I started the thread on this show and thought that it showed promise, I've dropped it from my DVR schedule. For some reason, SyFy has chosen to place it after a wrestling program that always goes over by five minutes or so. That means that I miss the ending of Warehouse 13. It happened for both Episode #2 and #3. Yes, I realize that I can set things up to record the following show on a regular basis (ala CBS on Sunday nights because of their uncertain sports schedules) or I can search for times on SyFy where Warehouse 13 isn't on right after wrestling but I have so many programs to watch already that quite frankly I don't feel it's special enough to warrant the extra effort.

If the buzz on this show tells me that it improves over the first season I can always wait for the DVD set. I wish that the stations respected scheduled time frames (except for emergencies, of course.) To me a wrestling show doesn't qualify as an emergency.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
We're really enjoying the show. It is a nice mix of fantastical context and great characters.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
No overrun problem here on the West Coast. I record the early showing of Warehouse 13 which runs at both 6:00 and 8:00 P.M. (wedged between the wrestling).

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

I haven't watched this yet. Is there a way to catch up with the series without watching it on my computer?
On Comcast it's up on OnDemand.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Did anyone else feel that the events of this past episode were tied up way too quickly? I think that'd have been much better spent doing it as a multi-episode arc in addition to other cases rather than mostly standing alone like it did.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Joe_H

Did anyone else feel that the events of this past episode were tied up way too quickly? I think that'd have been much better spent doing it as a multi-episode arc in addition to other cases rather than mostly standing alone like it did.
I don't know if the actual events of this episode should have necessarily been spread out over a bigger arc, but with the build-up during the past couple episodes (of the breaches/power surges/etc ....) I kind of expected there to be a bigger payoff. I guess it remains to be seen if Claudia will end up working with the team in the Warehouse....

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been watching the show and have been enjoying it. If I miss the first showing of the episode, I usually catch it after Eureka on Friday nights.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I kinda enjoyed the fact that the guy was trapped for 12 years in an interdimensional whatzie doozie, and all he had to do was open the cover and turn the watch 90 degrees. That simple.

Everything doesn't have to be complicated.

The series is allright. Nothing I would rush home to see, but good for an hour.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
The deus ex mechana has really redlined on this show.

Here's a library full of books, . . . OH LOOK, here's the specfic page in a specific book that solves everything.
Here's a box of artifacts, . . . OH LOOK!! Here's the way you figure out what's missing about that artifact trapping that guy in another dimension.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm still enjoying it. I like the episodes that open with the conclusion (or aftermath) of their last case. These glimpses of strange stories like the one in the zoo are fun, and let the writers just throw out wild ideas that might not work as full episodes, but are intriguing as teasers. (Reminds me of Watson's habit of referring to his notes on cases that Sherlock Holmes solved that he never got around to writing up as full stories, like "The Giant Rat of Sumatra". )

The chemistry still works for me, the backstory is getting filled in, Claudia is an interesting addition to the mix, and I don't really see their logically following clues to the key to the artifacts (as they clearly did in the case of the compass) to be examples of deus ex machina, unless the meaning of that term has changed in recent years. "Elements" was a lot of fun, although it was pretty obvious that the first artifact was a cloak or other garment, probably Native American, as soon as the feather was discovered. (Nitpick: As Pete rightly notes, artifacts usually require human contact to work. So it should have been impossible for someone to remove it from the wall with a gloved hand.)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Apparently I'm not the only one still enjoying this show. The total ratings (live ratings plus DVR numbers) are are over 4 million viewers an episode, better than Battlestar Galactica in its first season, and better than many shows on more prominent cable networks (like FX and TNT) and even summer shows on the broadcast networks. As a result, SyFy has renewed the show for a 2nd 13-episode season to air in the summer of 2010. I, for one, am very glad. I loved the introduction of the Roger Rees character, and the idea of an "Anti-Warehouse" to challenge our heroes.

Regards,

Joe

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Yeah, I still like it. It's not the greatest show I've ever seen, but it's decent. I still preferred the Lost Room to it though.

The one thing that bugs me most though is that it gives way too many winks to the audience that feel stupid.

As an example, the 'redshirt' comments in the last episode, and I can't remember any from earlier episodes but I remember thinking the same.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
What was wrong with the "red shirt" comment? Obviously Star Trek exists as a TV show in their universe, and that cliche exists as well. I'm sure real cops and soldiers joke about "red shirts" all the time. Yes it is also a way for the writers to wink at the audience (rather like Psych's digs at The Mentalist) , but it also makes perfect sense as something the characters would say in context. It isn't like they're commenting on their own show, or doing any of that other "breaking the fourth wall" stuff that a show like Moonlighting did. (Maddie: "When did you figure that out? Dave: "During the last commercial.") I certainly wouldn't call it "stupid".

Regards,

Joe

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I still watch it, but it's the little things that can really irk me. For instance, in the episode with the old WH13 agents and the metal artifact that fused with the spine and generated electricity, they initially found the old lady by scratching a pad of paper the [living] agent had written on in his room and found her name and address. Later, when they asked what she did after the agent disappeared, she said she changed her name and disappeared herself, . . . apparently by keeping the same name and living in the same house for 40 years.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

What was wrong with the "red shirt" comment? Obviously Star Trek exists as a TV show in their universe, and that cliche exists as well. I'm sure real cops and soldiers joke about "red shirts" all the time. Yes it is also a way for the writers to wink at the audience (rather like Psych's digs at The Mentalist) , but it also makes perfect sense as something the characters would say in context. It isn't like they're commenting on their own show, or doing any of that other "breaking the fourth wall" stuff that a show like Moonlighting did. (Maddie: "When did you figure that out? Dave: "During the last commercial.") I certainly wouldn't call it "stupid".

Regards,

Joe
Stupid was actually probably the wrong word... more like silly really. It just gives the feel that they're trying too hard or something.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think the last couple of episodes have been very good. Carla's a good addition to the cast and we're getting more of the backstory - and learning more about how the Warehouse works. "Dark Territory" was interesting, and I really loved the Sylvia Plath typewriter. (Am I the only one who expected - hoped? - that Mika would lure Pete outside the purple field by pulling up her shirt and flashing him? Would have worked with me. And it seems like a logical way to counteract the effects of the typewriter, which made you feel like you had nothing worth living for.)

Later,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks