What's new

War of the Worlds tv series...I wonder?. (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
But even more than that, how can one assume that we still had a Vietnam War, or that other wars of the 60s, 70s, 80s around the world still happened? The whole point of the 53 movie would have presumably altered forever the diplomacy among nations (and we would also have needed to see the rebuilding of Paris, London, Los Angeles etc.)

Guys, it's SciFi, suspension of disbelief, right? Or if you prefer, Fantasy SciFi, in any case, it's just a show, for entertainment. It's not a documentary.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Suspension of disbelief" though has its limits, particularly when we're talking about the very premise of a show. The show sold itself as a continuation of the 1953 movie and as such it had an obligation to project a plausible framework within that conceit. It's one thing to sell suspension of disbelief for a plot contrivance within a story but if the premise isn't secure, that's just bad writing IMO.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Villafana Or if you prefer, Fantasy SciFi, in any case, it's just a show, for entertainment. It's not a documentary.

I'm a huge fan of a show about a 900 year old man who flies around time and space in a magic phone booth fighting world destroying aliens with egg whisks for hands, so suspending my belief is not a problem for me.

It's just that building a show on such a flawed premise - that NOTHING would have changed in the post-alien invasion world 1989 from the Our 1989 is crippling. Either ingore the 50's movie and just start with a secret invasion or pick up where the Pal flick left off and go from there - but they cant do it both ways.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I just started watching the pilot and the picture quality is not that great. I wonder where they got the source material for the dvds.

I have some TV copies of the second season, presumably from VHS recordings, and the quality is just horrible. I'm hoping that the new DVD's have at least 16 mm quality. The copies I have seen look like 20th generation or something. Ugly.

Bump. Just watched the first episode of the Second season and the quality is MUCH improved over Season 1. We aren't talking pristine by any means, but definitely very watchable, and in my opinion much better than the previous release.

Just finished watching the first episode from the new season 2 release, and the quality is MUCH better in my opinion than season one. Not pristine by any means, but definitely an upgrade and very watchable in my estimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks