What's new

Wanted: Widescreen DVD that really emphasizes the surrounds on a 5.1 setup. (1 Viewer)

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
I find alot of movies don't really utliize the surrounds much so I figured this would be a great place to ask what dvd's to recommend....
I find movies that have rain scenes , like Jurassic Park do a great job and showcasing the surrounds...
Edit >>> A good movie is preferrable and i would like to showcase it to my friends...
Anyway suggest away... :)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Saving Private Ryan DTS
Don't know if I would consider U-571 a good movie, but it has excellent surround sound throughout the movie.
Jon

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Das Boot, Air Force One, Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars Episode One, Fight Club and Strange Days all have very aggressive surround channel use.

Adam

Steve Alan

Agent
Gladiator- scenes in the arena; crowd cheering, chanting, etc...

The World is not enough- Bond is either chasing or being chased, so something is always going on in the background

Stargate- just start from chapter 48 through the rest of the movie, lots of good stuff, and a good subwoofer workout too!!

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
I'd say X-MEN is a great one.

But like someone else also mentioned, U-571 sounds amazing. I don't have a sub yet but i've heard there is technically too much bass in the dolby digital version.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Phantom Menace has the most aggressive use of surrounds I've ever heard on DVD. The pod race, and the final battle are reference material. When Darth Maul is twirling his double-bladed lightsaber, you can hear it humming thru all 5 speakers!

Note that the sound is recorded at a lower level than other DD soundtracks, so you have to increase the volume about 5dBs.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
For a non-action demo, try Fox's Midsummer Night's Dream (the one with Calista Flockhart). The sequences in the forest are incredibly immersive with excellent use of the surrounds.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Star Wars: Phantom Menace is the best surround sound disc you'll ever listen to.

Others:

Air Force One

Das Boot

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
The Fifth Element is a really good one. I have the original release and it's very nice. As a matter of fact, I just watched it again the other day and was reminded of the nice audio throughout all the channels.
I believe the Superbit version has a DTS track, so it's sound may be a little better than the original release.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
A few not mentioned...

The Fast and the Furious

The One

Also check out some concert dvds.I really like Metallica's dvds for use of the rears,sounds like you are there.Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" also did a great job.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
A few not mentioned:

Se7en (great "subtle" sound)

The Rock - Criterion

Requiem for a Dream

T2-Judgement Day (can't believe this wasn't mentioned yet)

All the "superbit" releases are good.

Saving Private Ryan is by far the best good movie/good sound example.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For great surrounds check out...

- The Phantom Menace (check duel of the Jedi)

- Titanic (great use of ambient and split surrounds during Rose's search for Jack in the flooded compartments)

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
Superman -it may not have the most natural sounding use of surrounds but they sure are active,great effects start with the opening titles and don't ever let up. Certainly one of he most active uses of surrounds I've heard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.