What's new

Wanted an external power amp, few questions. (1 Viewer)

kuatolives

Auditioning
Real Name
J.
Hi all. I'm currently using a 3.1 setup and have been itching to pick up a relatively inexpensive external stereo amplifier -- I'm mostly interested in improving the experience from my mains during music listening. Current equipment is: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 mains (6 ohm, 90db sensitivity) Monitor Audio Silver RX Centre (6 ohm, 90db) Martinlogan Dynamo 700 Subwoofer Marantz SR5006 Receiver - 100W (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 8 ohm, 2ch driven) I am happy with the sound I currently experience with this setup, but can't help but wonder if I'm missing out by powering these speakers with just my AVR. Is it likely that I'd notice a difference if I connected an external amp? If so, and if the consensus if that I would benefit from one, I guess I've been looking at a few different ones: A local dealer carries the Parasound Halo A23, which I really like a lot and would likely be my preferred choice. I've been looking on ebay, however, and see a used Denon POA-8200 in great condition for about $400. Does anyone know anything about the Denon? As far as I can tell, it was their flagship 2-ch channel POA sometime in the mid-late 90s, made in Japan, looks really well-built, but I can't find much in the way of reviews/opinions of it online. Wondering if it's a good buy or if $400 is too steep. Emotiva is an option too -- I know their price/performance ratio is great, and I have a friend with an XPA-200 powering his Martinlogan ESLs. The Emotivas sound great, but I'm not a huge fan of their aesthetics. Any advice to make the choice a little easier would be greatly appreciated. I can also get a discount the Marantz MM7025 or PM8004 through my employer, but I'm not sure how either of those would rank with the others I'm considering. Thanks in advance!

stewball

Auditioning
Real Name
Ned
Hello, I just upgraded from an Onyko HT-R530 to an Onyko PR-SC5509 and 2 Emotiva amps. I went with the XPA2 (2x300) fronts and an XPA5 (5x200) all other channels and couldn't be happier with the performance. They are powering Boston VR1 and VR3. I have VR1 as the front and rear surrounds and VR3 for mid surrounds. Centers are a VR10 I found on eBay and the original Onyko center bridged together. Would like to find another VR10 to match the one and will someday. Anyway you had mentioned Emotiva and the reviews I read at the time were very mixed. For the price I think the sound is great. Free shipping from the factory is another plus lords knows you will need it because combined these 2 units weigh in at 165lbs. The place I was installing these 2 units didn't leave a lot of airflow on the top or sides so I mounted some fans behind the cabinet and don't think I needed to do that they run very cool to the touch. IMHO give Emotiva a chance. The 30 day no hassle return policy is another feature if you decide to use it, I didn't and would buy more equipment from them without hesitation. I am no expert by any means I just know what sounds good to me and everyone that has heard this new setup has been as impressed as I have been.

DaleAV

Agent
I actually purchased my Emotiva XPA-5 used, the 5 year warranty was transferred. I could not be more pleased with the performance. They have had a small issue with somewhat fragile RCA input connectors on these units. I went with the XLR connections on the unit and purchased XLR to RCA interconnects. It matches up to my most recent purchase which is the Emotiva UMC-200. Great combo!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks