What's new

Want more Night Court season sets? Then you'd better purchase the "TV Favorites"! (1 Viewer)

DanHaya

Second Unit
Wow, Dan, that's amazing! I don't know how old you are, but if you grew up in the 70s or 80s, you couldn't have missed What's Happening!. It was on in "Re-runs" (pun intended) in the early evenings for years and I'm sure you can find it on Nick-at-Nite or TV Land still!

Good show while it lasted, though I could've done without the updated What's Happening Now series they did in the late 80s.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Saw the Night Court favorites dvd at Wal-Mart today for $5.50, so anyone looking for it might want to check out their local Wal-Mart. Of course that was about $5.50 more than I'm willing to pay for a non-season set, so I passed. :)

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
In my experience, sometimes when you buy a greatest hits CD, you discover that you like the band or singer so much that you want to delve further into the back catalogue, even if it turns into buying the same song multiple times.

Maybe these inexpensive TV Favorites compilations are a way of building demand for season sets, beyond the finite existing fanbase for these shows?

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Picked mine up today at Wally-Mart. $8.99(cdn)
If anything, I'll enjoy watching the eps which are not on the season one release.
Hopefully this opens their eyes. This post alone has generated alot of attention. Maybe someone important at W.B. should check out this forum!!

To answer your question Dan, I'm 32, I guess they never aired What's Happening much in Canada..

tim cat

Agent
I think we should also post our comments about Night Court over at the Warner Bros. website. They also have a message board. www.warnerbros.com
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Gee. That seems simple enough to me. Get 'em hooked with cheap product, then try to reel 'em in with better product that costs more.

Kind of like the old encyclopedia sales or any of those old VHS scams on TV to buy Volume 1 for the "low, low price" of $9.99 and then each subsequent volume would be mailed to you on a monthly basis at the "reasonable" price of $19.99. Classic.

Maybe a better example would be a Whitman Sampler. :D

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I'm with the majority of you... my vote for season 2 and beyond of Night Court was my purchase of season 1. WTF is with these studios anyway?

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
It has been about three months now that the "TV Favorites" has been out. I wonder how sales went? Good enough to have Warner having talks about season sets now?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Any chance that they might skip to the Markie Post seasons to give sales a boost ? I fear that this show is now dead in the water.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the Warner Bros. TV chat Tuesday- it's our best chance to make our feeling known- let them know we want the Markie Post episodes (seasons 3 and following) NOW!!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, that election is over and you lost. If enough people had "voted" for Night Court back then to make the season sets profitable, WB would have simply gone on releasing them and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Given that they didn't continue releasing them we can be quite sure that the show didn't do well enough to go on and it was dropped.

The "TV Favorites" release offered a small chance that we could signal WB that the later, Markie Post, seasons of the show might do better than season one. That's all. It represented a second chance to "vote" on the show.

Gee, if you voted for candidate "A" for mayor four years ago and he lost, do you think that vote is supposed to "count" somehow if he runs again this year? "But I already voted for him! What's wrong with this elections board?" :)

Warner Bros. already made its decision base on the S1 results. We're trying to get them to reverse it. This is a new election, not a continuation of the old one. And I, for one, will try to get a question in on the matter, and hope that they saw enough of a difference in the sales of the two releases to take a chance on more Night Court.

Regards,

Joe

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Except that I'd rather not have my vote to have to depend on buying a product that will become a coaster eventually. Unlike your voting analogy, voting doesn't require spending money from me, just a little bit of my time. I'd rather not encourage bad habits by the studio.

It just amazes me that the WB really doesn't understand the fan bases for their shows that they couldn't see that season one by itself wasn't going to sell that great. Season One was a buy for me anyways, since I'm more of a fan of Harry Stone, but I understand that others would like the show in its prime.

Jason

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's what continually amazes me about studios releasing TV-on-DVD. It seems that no one who is actually making the decisions is ever a fan of the show, so they don't have any idea how to handle it. Yet they'll never reach out to the fans, either. How hard is it to Google a show and find out if there's a fan club or website where a lot of fans congregate and could be polled or chatted with to find out what the fans want and expect from a release? You wouldn't have to pay them; they'd be happy just to offer their input to make the DVD release worthwhile.

Heck, just ask the guys at TVShowsonDVD.com. If they don't have an in-house expert on a show, I'm sure they could find one.

The missed opportunities over the past few years seem endless.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Oh, you know perfectly well who she is. You just wanted to get someone to post a picture of her. Well, your little trick isn't going to work, young man.

Regards,

Joe

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
There is a WB chat today for those who do not know. Hopefully someone out there can ask about Night Court to see if we'll get any more releases or not. Unfortunatly I'm working so I won't be able to log into the chat..:frowning:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, at least it sounds like future Night Court seasons are a possibility.

Much more encouraging than all the other series queried that were met with the response, "no plans, no plans, no plans...."

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
"Under consideration."

We'll have to keep reminding Warner over and over and over again how much we want the rest of the seasons.

Market it well (it's also playing on TV Land), give it a decent price, put bonus episodes on other show's DVDs and we'll all win in the end.

Everyone record the shows from TV Land and show it to your family, friends, etc. and if they enjoy them, get them in on the constant reminding to Warner that "under consideration" should turn into "it's a go!"

The title of this thread should ideally say, "Want more Night Court season sets? Then you'd better purchase Season 1 and tell everyone you know to support future season sets."

Post your desire to have season sets in the Studio Feedback area as well.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Of course I remember her, Joe lol I was just kidding because it's funny, all the talk in this thread about Markie Post. Really, when I think back to Night Court, I hardly remember her contribution at all. I always remember Harry Anderson and Richard "Bull" Moll. Maybe John Laroquette. Rarely do I recall Markie Post.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
And in terms of comic moments lots of Mary Tyler Moore fans probably think of Ed Asner, Valerie Harper and Ted Knight. But Mary was the foil the rest of them played off of.

When Markie Post joined the cast the show really hit its stride because she was the last piece of the puzzle. She had romantic tension with Harry, was the perfect target for Dan's lust, could be the straight man for every joke with Selma, Roz and Bull. The character's innocence and bedrock normalcy made the antics of all the crazies around her that much funnier, and made Dan's leering funny where it could have been creepy. She made the rest of the cast and the show better, the same way Charles Emerson Winchester and Colonel Potter made M*A*S*H better. They were stronger characters than the ones they replaced, better foils for the rest of the cast, not comedic devices like Frank Burns and Henry Blake had been.

Sure, she was also a major hottie :), but it was Post's ability as an actress and comedienne that made helped make her tenure on the series the part that most people remember. She was part of the core group that carried the show through several more big cast changes and kept audiences tuning in. Many people didn't discover the show until she joined. Others had checked out the show earlier and found it didn't "click" with them - but got hooked later when they sampled the show after Post joined the cast. (I was one of these. I thought - and still think, looking back over the first season - that the show was genuinely funnier after she arrived.) In part this is because the producers, writers and actors were all finding their footing, which is common on many shows. (As far as I'm concerned Star Trek: The Next Generation was nearly unwatchable until its third season.) But in part I think that it is because they didn't have the ensemble they really needed until Post took the role of the public defender. With all due respect to Ellen Foley, either she or her character just never meshed with the other actors/characters. Post did, from the first time she appeared in an episode.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks