What's new

Want more Night Court season sets? Then you'd better purchase the "TV Favorites"! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
Some of us have limited funds and can't buy every TV set that we want that is coming out right now, there's too darn many of them, and we still have to pay the bills.

I haven't bought Night Court S1 yet, although it might be under the tree this year since it is on my list of things I'd like. If not, I will get it eventually when some of the other things I've been buying have run their course.

I have to be honest though, reading this thread where people are telling others that they should purchase crap they don't want to show support for stuff they do want just doesn't make sense to me. First of all, either adequate demand for season sets is there or not, if it's not, it won't matter a hill of beans if you buy the best of, they still won't make season sets. They're doing it to make money. If the demand IS there, then they will do it anyway. The demand might be out there for both, just because we wouldn't buy a best of doesn't mean there aren't consumers out there who would rather have that than season sets. If you buy the best ofs, what you are doing is convincing them there is a demand for those, and creating the ideal circumstances for every publisher to hit you with similar double dip "threats".

Maybe it will just take some time. Maybe, like MTM, it will eventually sell enough for them to make season 2, it's just not selling like hotcakes justifying releasing a season every few months. When they run out of other TV releases, they'll come back to it.

That said, I do think that if we, as a society, are really at the point where we think "it's just $10" to buy something that we don't want, that as one poster mentioned he would never even OPEN, in the hopes of getting the priviledge of paying for something we do want at full price, then our enjoyable hobby has become a compulsive disorder, and it's time for support groups.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It's quite obvious why it didn't sell. As I said before, there was no Markie Post as Christine Sullivan. Also, this was before longtime regulars Charles Robinson (Mac) and Marsha Warfield (Roz) showed up. Plus in Season 1 there were two actresses who were on for only that period: Paula Kelly and Karen Austin, whose positions on the show were filled out for most of its run by Markie Post and Charles Robinson respectively. In retrospect Night Court was just getting started that first season and took a while to crystalize into the clasic it became. The same thing happened with The Brady Bunch and Happy Days- ironically, all shows "became" themselves in their third seasons (Fonzie becomes a member of the extended Cunningham family, the Bradys stopped doing overly cute stories as the kids began to age and 'went mod' as Carol Brady's iconic shag made its first appearance, and of course Christine comes to Judge Stone's court!).

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I would buy a best-of disc, but the list of episodes on this disc is so poorly chosen -- what with one episode that's already on DVD (the pilot) and the first two parts of a four-part episode (so what are we supposed to do for the rest of the four-parter? beg for bootleg VHS tapes?) -- that I'm hesitant to buy it.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
.... and people get upset with the released of unrated, extended versions, calling that double dipping?!? At least in those cases, some additional, or differing, material is included. In this case, Warner seems to want me to buy their "Best Of" compilation, then turn around and buy the exact same content in season boxed sets. This is not a gauge of whether there is interest enough to release the season sets, but an attempt to dip into the same well twice. I will buy season sets in a heartbeat, but won't touch partial sets.

And early seasons of both "Happy Days" and "Brady" are selling well (at least Paramount realizes that some people would see through this).....

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the buying of Season 1 would be enough to show your support. I bought it as soon as it came out.
I also agree with those that state that "Best Of" discs are not really worth it. My thoughts on them is that it takes you out of sync with what's going on in the whole series and the way the characters have changed over the years. I might feel different if it was all John Astin episodes though. :)
My wife had never seen Night Court before I bought Season 1 and she loved it. She's from the Philippines and never had the chance to see it. When we were done, we couldn't wait for Season 2 to come out and we're still waiting.

To me, if a company releases even one season of any program, they should have been prepared to release the whole series regardless of sales. It's a kind of promise.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No offense, but you've clearly never been in charge of making a profit. There's no promises, none. If you perceive one, that's not the studios' fault. In your model, even though you're the only one in the world who likes and continues to buy zuchini-flavored Spaghetti-O's, and noone else buys them, Campbell's should continue to make them because they put it out once and it's kind of a promise.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

that one gets on my nerves... Warner is treating Fresh Prince well, a show that is currently being shown all night every night on N@N, yet Murphy is only on once a night in the wee hours and yet Warner doesn't realize that MB fans have a little bit more of a reason to desire more seasons. Do you think ANYBODY is browsing in the TV-DVD section and going "wow, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, that's something I haven't seen in ages"?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the cast issue is a huge obstacle to the sales of NC Seasons 1 & 2. In this case, I think WB should have begun with S3, then looped back to release S1 & S2 at the end so everyone could then complete their collections.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
For all those saying they should have begun Night Court with season 3, I think it's easier said than done. Not to be rude, but you know there would be plenty of people (including HTFers) who would respond to that with "Until I own the first two seasons, I have no use for the third. No sale."

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

I stand corrected; I thought they were on season 3 (My bad). However, that does not change the fact that they are gambling on people buying the exact same episodes multiple times, which in my case is a bad bet. I am a completist (why else would I have bought Star Trek 5 - but have not watched it yet... not brave enough, I guess), so season sets are the only way to go. It's all or nothing, for me...

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
From personal experience, I found it hard to find it on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart, Murphy Brown too, all I saw were too many Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Full House series I had no interest in, well actually I was tempted for the Head of the Class pilot but that deserves season sets as well, but ugh two lesser series from the 80's and 90's dominated the shelfs and it looked like either no one was purchasing those or they had so many they kept replenishing the shelfs as soon as one was purchased, there was actually a small hole in the mess of frisbees that I think was meant for Night Court and possibly Murphy Brown. Oh Jsmie Foxx was there in full force too but no Wayans Bros. At another one they did have Night Court but "IT" was on the isle side ways, you could see the spine only if you looked close. It was turned this way to devote more space to Fresh Prince and then Full House. I think the stores pushed Fresh Prince the most and Full House second while Night Court suffered greatly, I don't think it suffered as much as Murphy Brown because I couldn't find this at all. I only knew Night Court was coming out from TVShows onDVD, I never saw a TV commercial and saw no ads, I think some people may not even know it is on DVD.

As for Punky Brewster, I always though more people cared about that than was assumed by the IIC.

greg_t

Screenwriter
They should have done like seinfeld and released seasons 1 and 2 as one package with 3 as a seperate at the same time.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

True, True.
Or at least done the Season 1 & 2 thing together. Becasue we are now stuck with another weak season(2) which, if we get, WB will use to gauge future releases..

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
when it comes to Happy Days, you'd think Paramount would realize that they're on the same boat that Warner is on with Night Court. While a small number of us (myself included) considers seasons 1 and 2 to be the show at it's peak, season 3 is really when Happy Days morphed into the show that became a huge sensation and became "The Fonzie Show". Paramount should suck it up and do a season 2, and then follow it up shortly with a season 3, and if season 3 doesn't sell, THEN abandon it, but I think sales would truly take off for season 3 since that's when the show became the way most people remember it... much like Night Court really became itself in season 3.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see it at Wal-Mart, either. I got mine at Best Buy.

I think the over-abundence of titles, especially TV-on-DVD sets, forces retail chain buyers to make tough decisions along the lines of "we can't carry them all, so this is what we'll skip."

Hmmm, I wonder if it is WAL-MART's choice not to purchase those shows on DVD to stock in their stores that made Warner re-consider the continuation of these with season sets. Along the lines of "if Wal-Mart doesn't want to carry these titles, then what chance do they have?" After all, Warner is DVD category captain for Wal-Mart (although I hear in the trade mags that this is about to end and change to Fox), and so Wal-Mart's decisions on this type of thing may have a VERY big impact on WB's go/no-go decisions. Hmmmm....

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if last night's Family Guy will spark new interest in Happy Days. :D We might get season 2 afterall. :lol:

Pavan_P

Second Unit
I didn't see Family Guy on Sunday, but I've heard the episode was about "The Church of the Fonz."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks