What's new

WALT: The Man Behind the Myth (1 Viewer)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
But a well made and interesting doc nonetheless & being from Disney the DVD presentation was top notch.
Kevin, unless this disc has been re-issued with a 16x9 transfer I don't think you could say the DVD presentation was top notch.

The new material for this show was shot in HD, and they make a big deal about that in the bonus section. They even cropped all the 4x3 archival material top and bottom to match the new stuff.

Then they did a non anamorphic 4x3 letterboxed transfer to DVD.

(But even if they had done a proper 16x9 transfer you would still have the vast majority of archival film content in the show blown up/cropped to fit the 16x9 screen.)

It should have been all shot in 4x3 to best present all the old film clips which are the major part of this show. That or the archival stuff should have been pillarboxed in a 16x9 anamorphic presentation of the new material.

Disney Home Video blew this one big time. And since by its documentary nature it won't sell in any big numbers, we are stuck with this botched transfer for a long time.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well...sorry, but the presentation looked pretty good to me 16x9 enhanced or not.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Interesting thread.
I think I saw the presentation (or a big chunk of it) in one of Disney's theme parks (LA or Orlando) a few years ago with the family. Didn't buy the video then, and I didn't know it was for sale outside the parks.

Just ordered it (for $20.98). It's available for more than a year, apparently. Thanks everyone here, especially those who revived the thread, for pointing this out to unattentive me.

Cees

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps a bit of a strange bump to this thread, but I thought I'd post a link to the Disney store, as this DVD is also now available there.

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSecti...duct_Id=120276

But also because I've been doing a hell of a lot of reading regarding Disney all weekend, and found a lot of information in this thread alone. It started after stumbling onto some older Disney DVD's that had popped up in a local store on Friday. I've only been starting to collect Disney DVD's over the last year or so, but finding OOP titles like 'On The Front Lines' has sort of lit a fire inside me to learn all I can.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Glad you bumped it...I had missed out on it, regretfully so. Lots of good information in here. I'll scope out this DVD. Disney and his legacy are a big part of my life.

Thanks,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks