What's new

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 8 - 11/11 (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Just how well known is DR SYN.

I'll be honest, I've never heard of it before this release. And I've been a longtime Disney fan. I can see why many stores aren't carrying it, or only a few copies of it. If I've never heard of it, I'm sure many who stock the shelves or order DVDs haven't.

I did buy it, so will be watching it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Collectors buy a whole set. Wave 8, in this case.
They should have anticipated the demand for that reason alone.

(For two days Annette wasn't available on Amazon, all of a sudden. I'm glad I didn't move to one of the - more expensive - third party sources: they carry it again.)

Cees

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
It is one of those releases that will appeal only to those of us of a certain age who saw it, or heard about it growing up. I wasn't born when it was broadcast, but I remember Dr. Syn as a creepy presence in the Disney universe well into the '70s.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I looked in several Best Buys. They all had several Annettes. Only one had any Donald Ducks. And they were all out of Dr. Syn.

And this is the first year that Sam's Club didn't sell the Treasures.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Neither Sam's nor Costco had them around here last week, which surprised me. I did see three copies of Dr. Syn at a local Target, though.

Maybe these low print runs are having an effect.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Costco had a bunch of all three, and I snapped up a Dr Syn (pretty much site unseen) without a problem. The animation from Disney never did anything for me, but the live action stuff rules. And how can I say no to Number 6?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I did open some of my old ones at the same time as I opened the new ones. In some cases there was significant tape residue on the cases from the DVD tape seals. I tried to get it off with tape, which worked sometimes but not as well as in the past with some CD cases.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I knew there was something I could do about that sticky stuff, but didn't remember for the life of me what it was. I finally popped open the five WDT I got from the DD sale and Donald V4 last night. Some didn't have residue at all and others were a smidge worse.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hey, does anyone know why "Rugged Bear" was put in "the Vault"? I watched it twice but I honestly couldn't figure out what was "offensive" about it... :confused:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The BF and I watched it last night (along with "Uncle Donald's Ants"). Our best guess was the prolific wielding of a shotgun toward the bear during the entire episode. It would have been appreciated if Maltin gave more info other than a :29 clip...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
IIRC, When listing reasons for censoring, withholding, or "vaulting" such material, Disney normally refers to it as "comic gunplay". That's the explanation for why "The Martins and the Coys" segment was excised from "Make Mine Music".

Regards,

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ken, maybe you can answer another question then. What was wrong with "Uncle Donald's Ants"? Did someone object to the ants talking with some sort of accent?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I believe Colin called that one in his review -- The bit where the ants are depicted as stereotypical primitive tribesmen.

A lot of these seem like quite a stretch, but at least the shorts are available.

Regards,

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Gotcha. I hadn't read Colin's review...I like to go into my own reviews without having someone else's opinion in my head.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I didn't see "Ants" as one of the stretches. I don't much care for the "Vault" concept - I think it's too PC and overly protective - but if one of these shorts qualifies, it's "Ants"!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Disney really would "Vault" "Rugged" because of the gun??? That's kooky. There are so many cartoons out there with equivalent - or greater - "comic gunplay" that this makes no sense.

I understand the "Vaulting" of potentially offensive shorts, and I realize that ANYTHING can be offensive to SOMEONE. Heck, I hate hunting, so I should be horribly offended! But I think the "Vaulting" of "Rugged" due to the guns is silly...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Which it got me to thinking about Song of the South last night. If a little non-explanation explanation from Maltin got these shorts on the discs, a 1:00 intro on SotS should do the trick.

Someone's overly sensitive, I think, about this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks