What's new

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 4 (1 Viewer)

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I hope that "Dog Watch" is on the Pluto set because it wasn't on the Wartime set....and what happened to Donald Vol. 2? Disney really needs to put out a set of silent cartoons. The Alice shorts kick ass.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Every single short featured throughout these sets had been produced and released theatrically within Walt's lifetime with the exception of the 3 Mickey Mouse mini-features included as bonus material on MMILC2 presented only to complete and consummate the chronology, progression and legacy of Walt's most distinguished and exalted character. These were a continual series of cartoons that Walt created, developed and was directly involved in the overseeing of production.

That's a far cry from an uninspired and reworked 1980's television series for which I referanced the purpose of these Treasure sets only to make obvious what seemed already blatantly apparent - that any future waves of Treasures, including any potential Mickey Mouse Club sets, would clearly not feature any content derived 20 something years after Walt Disney's death. By such conception, we could also look forward to The Complete Darkwing Duck Collection in a limited edition numbered tin casing with a special lithograph and historical introduction in the next wave...

If you recall, these sets were introduced with the premice that they tribute and honor the life of Walt Disney on his 100th anniversary, to subsequently see release every year in December in celebration of his birthday.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I would love to see the True Life Adventure Series (i.e. The Living Desert). I remember seeing these in school as a child and thought they were great.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
No one knows. It's all speculation right now. We don't even know for sure what Wave 4 will really entail.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
To be honest, I am more interested in the live action stuff than the cartoons, although I have bought all 8 sets so far, and have the Wave 3 on order. I'm more interested in True Life Adventures than MM Club. I will have to assess whether I really need all these tins.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I guess that's where I'm coming from, too -- I can't really shell out for all of the sets, so I've always concentrated on just getting the ones I'm excited about. (and I don't have the "getupandgo" for e-bay profiteering)

I understand there are animated gems nestled in the various "behind the scenes" offerings, but overall they simply do not contain enough to justify a purchase for me.

If money were no object and I had the space to maintain a huge DVD library, this of course would not even be an issue. (and I would have far more "ambivalent purchases" littering my collection) As it is, the classic animated shorts are what I've always loved about Disney, whereas the specials, series and documentaries I could take or leave.

Of course, I've heard from some who ignore the animated sets altogether; we all have our areas of interest!

s :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

It's not speculation at all, Leonard Maltin has confirmed that the next wave would be released as planned in December and all future sets would continue as scheduled. Last year's delay should bear no effect on any future Treasures release whatsoever.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I guess there should be no doubt that the next wave comes in December 2004. But is it really confirmed what will be included in Wave 4? Some of the titles thrown around could seem a bit like speculation...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wish Wave 4 would be:
1. Mickey Mouse B&W 2
2. Complete Pluto
3. Silly Symphonies 2
4. Various Shorts 1

Wave 5:
1. Donald Duck 2
2. Various Shorts 2
3. Winnie The Pooh
4. Early Animation (Oswald and Alice Comedies)

Wave 6:

1. Song of the South (60th Anniversary Edition)
2. Donald Duck 3
3. Live-Action Shorts 1
4. Zorro 1

Wave 7:

1. True-Life Adventures 2
2. Disneyland 2
3. Mickey Mouse Club 2
4. Live Action Shorts 2

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Scott, there are enough Alice shorts alone for at least 2 sets of "early animation", however I don't think Disney owns them all, unfortunately. Same with Oswald.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The uncategorized Disney shorts can easily be fit onto a single 2-disc set with enough available space for significant extras..

Also, Universal owns the Oswald cartoons and I believe all of the Alice shorts are currently in the public domain and I would bet that many of the prints are lost forever. Disney would see no viable prospects in investing the time and money into locating and remastering the prints to films which would hold little interest to the public outside of harcore animation circles and to which they don't even hold license to anymore.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Scott:

Did you have something particular in mind when you suggested as many as three volumes of "various shorts"?

About Alice and Oswald: I think quite a few of them have been released on DVD by some other small company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks