What's new

Walmart thinks people are stupid enough to pay $4 a disk to convert DVDs to dead Ultraviolet (1 Viewer)

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
This is Walmart we're talking about - will they not have titles that Walmart refuses to carry, do you think?

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Russell G said:
I bet they don't plan to convert anything but just move pre-done conversions to your account. Be curious what would happen if someone brought an OOP obscure title.
Many of these questions are addressed in the Home Media Magazine article I linked to above including:
  • Your DVDs will be marked or stamped on the surface, so that 2 conversions can't be made from the same disc
  • If the film is not available as UV, then you can ask for a notification email if / when it does become available.
  • Disney discs will not be available for this conversion. And they are not sure how they are going to address this issue with consumers yet.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
MattAlbie60 said:
This is Walmart we're talking about - will they not have titles that Walmart refuses to carry, do you think?
It will be interesting to see the look on the Walmart employees faces when someone brings iin a large pile or box of their "adult" films thinking they can get a UV copy. Ha! The folks over at UV need to get their logins corrected so it's only one.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Russell G said:

Yeah, I was thinking of taking my copy of the extended cut of the original Wicker Man that came in that Anchor Bay wood boxset. Then I remember they stamp the discs. If they say it's not in their system, then you know that you're paying $2-$5 for a file to added to your account.

Which is ridiculous.

The stamping part makes this a no go for me especially being a picky collector like I am but you have to remember that this program is not for people like you and I, the enthusiast they are going for the Joe and Jayne six pack "people of Walmart" crowd. Those who don't care If their collection is stamped.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Towergrove said:
They are going for the Joe and Jayne six pack "people of Walmart" crowd. Those who don't care If their collection is stamped.
The ones who bought most of their collections used when Blockbuster was going out of business anyway. In full screen. *shudders*

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
The stamping part makes this a no go for me especially being a picky collector like I am but you have to remember that this program is not for people like you and I, the enthusiast they are going for the Joe and Jayne six pack "people of Walmart" crowd. Those who don't care If their collection is stamped.
You continue to give them too much credit for having thought this out fully. They clearly haven't.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Steve Tannehill said:
So it's a win-win for UVVU and VUDU users.
Uh, whut?
Walmart also said that the service will focus on Vudu, not the UltraViolet technology that the same studios endorsed at the CES show in January. UltraViolet has its own digital locker scheme, which is compatible with what Vudu is offering. According to Edward Lichty, Vudu's general manager, uploading the movie to a digital format will put it into the UltraViolet cloud; users will be able to watch that movie with another UltraViolet-compatible client, such as Flixster, or take a previously purchased UV movie and view it using Vudu.
YGTBFKM. Which is it? Both?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Towergrove said:
And they'll then run down to the local Hastings to sell it, assuming they'll take such a marked disk. I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this in the first place.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The service does nothing for me. But if you pull back to 100k feet, I like where they're going - now there's a price attached. I would pay $2 extra to get permission to store a digital copy on my own server. (I don't want to go through someone else's service, and I don't want to ever lose access.) So, a "few" permission kinks to work out on that, but I see a future.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

The service does nothing for me. But if you pull back to 100k feet, I like where they're going - now there's a price attached. I would pay $2 extra to get permission to store a digital copy on my own server. (I don't want to go through someone else's service, and I don't want to ever lose access.) So, a "few" permission kinks to work out on that, but I see a future.

The future I'd like to see is the option of buying a streaming video at a fair price point ($20 is not a fair price point), or an option to buy a physical disc of superior quality with the sub par streaming version thrown in for convenience for use on devices that probably shouldn't be used for movies anyways.

The future that I see happening is streaming is the only option since it gives the studios the complete control they currently don't have with physical media and Netflix and allows them to curb piracy through strict licensing and permissions that will always favour the studios. Let's not forget that this isn't being introduced because the studios have an overwhelming concern for it's customers and the movies in general, it's being introduced because they are still shit scared of and don't understand the internet and it's culture. Getting collectors use to bare bone MOD discs is another step in this direction I think. If we all get used to buying on demand, all of a sudden buying a streaming film isn't all that different and more convenient. Collectors have already completely caved as far as "only pressed discs" are concerned *

Another reason why I wont be supporting this streaming shenanigans anytime soon.

*As a collector I caved too when some of the Warner Archive discs actually became available to me in Canada, I couldn't resist the Vitaphone shorts collections. Nice to have them, but still the shits as far as manufacturing goes. My curiosity for the material got the best of me, never again.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Russell G said:
Collectors have already completely caved as far as "only pressed discs" are concerned
Not this collector. I own precisely zero MOD discs and that will continue so long as they're burned. I believe rental vs. ownership is a key issue making stream-only more difficult to predict. The studios would indeed have more control through streaming, but consumers would be less inclined to make a purchase without a disc (especially considering the convenience of services like Netflix). Studios are already frustrated rental revenue through such services don't make up for lost disc sales.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
You continue to give them too much credit for having thought this out fully. They clearly haven't.
Oh yes I believe they have done market tests as they suggested they have done during the press conference. This service may not be for everyone but it is a option we have. I like choice. Sam, how is UV any better or worse than Apples walled garden iTunes store for video purchases? Do you prefer iTunes? If so why?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt

Not this collector. I own precisely zero MOD discs and that will continue so long as they're burned.
I believe rental vs. ownership is a key issue making stream-only more difficult to predict. The studios would indeed have more control through streaming, but consumers would be less inclined to make a purchase without a disc (especially considering the convenience of services like Netflix). Studios are already frustrated rental revenue through such services don't make up for lost disc sales.
But you see these services are not streaming only. The electronic sell thru services created by itunes as well as Ultraviolet are not just streaming services as they also allow download to your home PC or server if you choose to do so. The studios will continue to give the consumer choices to either rent or purchase.

I have been purchasing MOD discs and have no problem with them and will continue to do so.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What I don't understand is why not just use a program like Handbrake (or something similar) to make your own digital copies of discs you already own. Then just store that where its accessible to you - on your drive, on a server you have access to, it the cloud, etc. Why pay someone else $2 to do what you can do for free. And you won't have to worry about losing ownership. David

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
But you see these services are not streaming only.  The electronic sell thru services created by itunes as well as Ultraviolet are not just streaming services as they also allow download to your home PC or server if you choose to do so.  The studios will continue to give the consumer choices to either rent or purchase.

I have been purchasing MOD discs and have no problem with them and will continue to do so.
Again they have said time and again that the goal of Uv is to kill rental. All rental, not just DVD rental but streaming rental too. This is the part I think apologists and fans of Uv don't get... Keep on pushing choice, its a false dichotomy that favors letting the lowest common denominator win. Sheesh

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Again they have said time and again that the goal of Uv is to kill rental. All rental, not just DVD rental but streaming rental too. This is the part I think apologists and fans of Uv don't get...
Keep on pushing choice, its a false dichotomy that favors letting the lowest common denominator win. Sheesh

But you cheerlead itunes in other posts here? If I may talk about having choices for a moment...Doesn't using itunes give you less choice when it comes to what device you play your media on? Can you play your itunes purchases on devices other than those produced by Apple? Doesn't using itunes seal you into a walled Apple Garden? Fan and apologists indeed...

Also you mention that it's been said that the goal of UV is to kill rental. Do you have a link to back up that claim? I assume when you say "they" you mean a studio head? Again link please...

Sorry but Im still trying to decide to go apples Itunes or UV... Its confusing to be a consumer these days.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
It's obvious that neither service is the perfect solution, but having used both one has given me an unending amount of problems and one hasn't. I had one iTunes digital copy (District 9) randomly stop working on me about a year ago, maybe two. I called customer service, they killed the copy I had on my account, gave me a new code to download a new copy, and everything was fine. I've had no problems since. The whole thing took about ten minutes. My issues with Ultraviolet and the way it operates have been detailed earlier in this thread. I emailed customer service and even contacted Flixter via Twitter. It's been 24 hours and I have no response. And these aren't even problems with the content - they're problems with the service itself and the way it operates. If they had a number to call, I would. So if given the choice, I'd say the lesser of two evils (as of right now) is definitely one where every aspect is under one roof, as it is with iTunes.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
But you cheerlead itunes in other posts here?  If I may talk about having choices for a moment...Doesn't using itunes give you less choice when it comes to what device you play your media on?  Can you play your itunes purchases on devices other than those produced by Apple?  Doesn't using itunes seal you into a walled Apple Garden?  Fan and apologists indeed... Also you mention that it's been said that the goal of UV is to kill rental.  Do you have a link to back up that claim?  I assume when you say "they" you mean a studio head?  Again link please... Sorry but Im still trying to decide to go apples Itunes or UV... Its confusing to be a consumer these days.
Yes, and I've posted it to you in replies before. http://www.wired.com/cloudline/2011/10/hollywood-hopes-its-ultraviolet-plans-will-quash-cloud-movie-rentals/ http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/311881/what-is-ultraviolet-and-why-should-you-care/60#post_3858458 I am NOT A CHEERLEADER FOR iTunes/Apple. I am a cheerleader for solutions that don't suck, regardless of who makes them. I use Netflix, Amazon Prime, the Sony Playstation and the Xbox Live Marketplace stores for downloads and even streaming from ISPs and Cable Cos. None of them suck as badly as UVVU does. I've said all along that I am pro for the good stuff that UV -COULD- have done but their implementation was failed from the beginning because they are run by either the greedy or the incompetent. Meanwhile Apple continues to press on and just make shit that works for the good of consumers. Do I wish that there was a solution that put less power in the hands of one single company? YES I DO. Am I willing to trade off of that elegant solution controlled by a benevolent dictator to go to a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE system run by those who are clearly plotting illegal price fixing and to kill rental in the meantime? Hell NO. And meanwhile there are still all those other great solutions giving consumers what they want while Uvvu tries it's failed coup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks