What's new

Wall Street Journal on Mad Mad World Restore (1 Viewer)

Gary Rhine

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I just read a long post by Mr. Krispow but now it is gone. I really did not see anything offensive or inflamatory in it. This is a private Home Theater Forum for sure but the term "forum" seems to be coming into question.

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator
Got my MGM version a couple of weeks ago at CC.Looks good to me but I'll pony up for fully restored version. :D

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Gary,

Yes it was... mine and two others were deleted. Sorry, but I can no longer discuss the matter in any way within this forum. (But if anyone has copies of two certain "writings" I may have made recently, please email them to me asap.)

All I can say is this: "I hope the restoration goes through and we see a terrific SE DVD!"

Best,

Jeff

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Just went through my copy of the LD for the first time in a couple years and I'm still confused on this matter of the LD cut putting certain scenes from the restored footage "out of order." The only scenes that conceivably seemed that way to me might have been among those of Sid Caesar and Edie Adams locked in the basement, but could Ron or any of the other experts on this film clarify this a bit more?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Eric,

The question you are asking would be a perfect one for Ron to address in detail after he gets his "tour" of what would constitute a proper roadshow cut. Very few people have a clear understanding of this that isn't tempered by a 30 year memory gap.

Regards,

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
This is off topic, but since its a Cinerama thread, will we ever see 'Grand Prix' on DVD? Another one of my favorite Cinerama releases.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Only in the interests of boosting sales so MGM could stay committed to the restoration project, I bought the DVD today but will not watch the film itself on it (I will look at the supplement sections though). Looking forward to that upcoming report on the project!

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Since when did MGM get control over "Grand Prix" since as a 1966 MGM movie that makes it part of the Warner catalog now?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Most Ultra Panavision films were converted to 35mm to 2.55:1 with the sides getting cropped. Mad World is probably best seen at the full 2.76:1 ratio since you can tell that the film was not shot "2.55:1 safe" since characters on the sides get cut off.
I brought this (Mad World projected at 2.76:1) up at a newsgroup and Marty Hart corrected me. He was saying that if you were to take out the rectified squeeze on a 70mm Ultra Panavision print, the aspect ratio would be 2.4 or 2.5:1 not 2.76:1. Maybe Mr. Harris can confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks