What's new

Wall-mounted speakers - How High? (2 Viewers)

Randy_V

Auditioning
Is there a general rule-of-thumb for the mounting height of wall-mounted speakers (installed on directional stalks)?

Casey.K

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey
Your front sound stage speakers should be mounted/placed at ear level while the tweeter of the surround/rear speakers should be 2-3 above ear level unless you plan on doing more multichannel audio listening than movie watching. If that's the case, all speaker's should be at or slightly above ear level.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The Dolby website suggests 2-4 feet above ear level for the rear speakers.

But those guidelines were set in the ProLogic days where only ambient noises (wind, rain, thunder) and not specific, locatable sounds went to the rear.

I prefer the ear-level placement as more and more movies are putting specific sounds to one rear or the other and it blows the illusion if the sounds shoot up over your head.

But others argue that the 2-4 feet above placement makes things more 'transparent' which some movies program for.

Randy_V

Auditioning
Thanks guys, that certainly makes sense.

How about when using directionally adjustable speakers though? Can't I mount them higher, but adjust them facing downwards to the listening area?

I can't recall ever seeing a surround-sound speaker setup where the satellite speakers on mounting stalks are located just 4 feet off the floor (seated ear level).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in theory, if the tweeters are directional, you should be able to get away with a higher mount. but i've never heard them so i can't say for sure if it really "works" that way.

you'll rarely see a rear speaker setup four feet off the floor on stalks cuz it looks funky. but it really would be optimal from an audio point-of-view.

did you read the dolby.com article?

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh....html#chapter3

GregBe

Second Unit
Everywhere I have read, says put the front speakers at ear level, but in my new setup, I don't have this option. Option A: have the satellite fronts ideally seperated and wall mounted close to the ceiling and pointing down toward the listening area
Option B: have the satellite fronts at the same level as the center channel (right above the tv) but I can only seperate the left and right speakers as far out as the outside edges of the screen, but not past them. (50 inch RPTV)
I know neither option is ideal, but any suggestions as to which is the lesser of two evils.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
gregbe - that is a tough choice.

my cop out answer is to try both and see what works for you. :) seriously though, depending on various room factors, one may actually work better than the other.

although, if you put a gun to my head, i would probably say separate them out (option A) since that will give you a better stereo image...

Agustin

Agent
rear speakers are only too high when the primary function is play audio cd's or multichanel audio cd's

for movies its a lot better at ear level

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
rear speakers are only too high when the primary function is play audio cd's or multichanel audio cd's

for movies its a lot better at ear level
i'd say the reverse is true.

for music, you should be able to hear the instruments just as you would from the front speakers. that is, the instruments and voices are directional - you aren't supposed to get a "sense" of the sound - you are supposed to hear it.

for movies, the rear channel is mostly "ambient" type noise - you should actually have a more diffused sound.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have my surrounds mounted about 5 feet above the sofa which is also along the wall. This is about the only way I could place the surrounds. I had them on stands at about ear level and I found that they sound ALOT better mounted higher on the wall.

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
After experimenting, I found that directly (1 foot behind actually) to the side and up ~2.5 feet sounded best. At ear level, the sound could be blocked enough by the person sitting next to me, that I wouldnt hear it well.

Get a couple friends to hold them at different places while you test locations.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I just got a new speaker system and my former rears are on stands. I was always worried about some one bumping into them and knocking them off the stands. I got my new ones Saturday and I was going to put them on the stands but when I went to take the old ones off they were stuck. I used 2 sided tapes to secure them a little better. Now I can pull on them as hard as I can and they won't come off. So looks like I will have to sell the speakers with the stands. I will be mounting my new ones on the wall about 5ft up and a few feet over. I think it will sound ok with proper calibration.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
david -

how much of a gap do you have?

i was thinking you could take a thin blade (like a hacksaw blade) and see if you can saw between the speaker and the stand?

it may require some post-cleanup, but at least you'd be able to keep your stands.

that must be some pretty serious double-sided tape!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Ted I think I might be able to do that. Thats a good idea. I'll let you know if I do that it will be the weekend before I can get around to it. I had no idea the tape would hold that good at least it did it's job at didn't let the speaker hit someone in the head. Thanks again. David

David_Wi

Auditioning
It sounds like you may have used VHB tape from 3M. If that’s the case you’ll have to find an acrylic adhesive remover to get the tape residue off. Lighter fluid won’t work. If it is VHB tape, 3M has in the past recommended using a piano wire to cut through the foam. But a saw blade would probably be cheaper if it fits.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I finally got the urge to just try them one more time. I took them and turned them upside down and just gave them a quick pry. The first one pop right off the second one snaped the top off the stand but I was able to screw it back on. The tape wasn't the 3M kind it was a cheaper brand but I do have some 3M kind. Thanks for the advise I had already went and got my hacksaw to use it but figured I'd try once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks