What's new

Walking Dead Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Lou Sytsma said:
I really liked how the show used Carl to give us a glimpse into her character - though how she got the picture out of the cafe begs question.
She used Carl as a distraction, slipped in while they were all clawing at the door trying to eat him, grabbed it off the floor and then slipped back out.
Joe_H said:
Agreed, this was definitely one of the best of the series' run tonight.
I'm taking it as a good sign that the writer of tonight's episode was named the new showrunner. Hopefully we'll get back to more character driven storytelling.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Tonight's episode - pretty good, though why NOT pick up the guy on the road? Aren't they in need of manpower for the upcoming war with the Gov? I mean, I get that you have to be hesitant, but c'mon, that guy will probably worship you for a few days at least and get integrated into the group. Rick's lack of thinking beyond who is already "in the group" is seriously pissing me off. Plus we've already seen that driving Tyrese and his small group is working against them already. I don't know - seems just too cynical to me. Plus, some guy that apparently survived just fine for a year just happens to get eaten in the couple hours since they didn't pick him up? Silly. And yes, I get the symbolism of Rick recognizing his hard-heartedness leading to a person's death, but it was just..... distasteful from our "good" guy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
though why NOT pick up the guy on the road?
I think that altruism is kind of dead at this point in the zombie apocalypse. Everyone has simply been through too much. I believe that the fact that none of them even hesitated when they drove past the guy is indicative of their mental state and the fact that new rules exist in the world. Also - Rick is in the car with his son and a woman who is still a question mark in his mind and I don't think that he wants to introduce more randomness into that situation. Once again with regards to the hitch-hiker; while I would agree that the odds of someone perishing on that particular day after surviving for so long seem remote, the dog eat dog nature of the world is emphasized so well and so succinctly when they pick up the fallen hitch-hiker's backpack that I'm willing to give the writers a pass for something so coldly poetic and haunting. With its focus on character development, the terrific Lennie James, the brilliant production design of Morgan's fortress, and some genuine moments of zombie peril - easily the best episode of season 3. - Walter.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It just seems that our "good" guys are just the douchebags we've happened to follow during all of this. I'm at the point where I'm hoping Rick gets taken out so that we can get someone worth rooting for as the main protaginist again. Tyrese maybe. He seems like he gives a damn about a reason to survive in this world.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
Aren't they in need of manpower for the upcoming war with the Gov? I mean, I get that you have to be hesitant, but c'mon, that guy will probably worship you for a few days at least and get integrated into the group.
That was my first thought as well but there's enough of a chance that they'd be picking up some bushwhacking SOB or a psychopath that I can understand playing it safe and leaving him. It's cruel but I get it. Though I completely agree that it's too coincidental that the guy they passed ended up dead right after they went by.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Agree that this was one of the better episodes of the series. Probably my favorite since the first season.
I totally get not picking that guy up. Way too much risk, another mouth to feed, etc. Although I do agree it was way to coincidental/convenient that he was dead on the side of the road.
I'm disappointed in AMC for basically giving up the Morgan reveal in the "Previously on..." segment by showing Rick calling out to them. I think I would have been much more pleasantly surprised...but after seeing that I was actually expecting it.
A lesser show would have had Morgan join the group (and part of me was hoping that would happen), but I have to wonder if it was truly a creative decision or just influences by budget and/or actor availability.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed this episode. Not enjoying the Governor story line any longer. Hoping it wraps up soon and use the last 3-4 episodes of the season to set up next season.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel
I'm willing to give the writers a pass for something so coldly poetic and haunting.
Exactly. The reason the hitchhiker wasn't picked up was because that's not the story the show wants to tell. In this world, certain aspects of humanity are a fleeting memory--even for our protagonists (arguably more so for a few of them). To want a "good guy" to "root for" misses the point of the story.
The episode was a total success because it finally did something the show has been lacking for a long time: focus on themes and stories the show wants to tell. Virtually every aspect of the episode, from the music, to the symbolism, to the lighting (notice how everything occurred in the natural light of day), to the setting (the show began and ended on the road, not the jail) reinforced a few key themes. Smaller things like the message to Erin and the bracelet likewise supported those themes. When some events strain believability--like the hitchhiker's death--we allow it because it's role in the narrative is symbolic. If Rick or Glen or Michonne ever reference the event again, that would be a major story-telling error (and shame on any writer who brings it up). It served its purpose.
There is a way to present the rest of the show (the war with the Governor, the tension within the group at the jail, the overall struggle to survive, et cetera) with the same precision and skill as this episode. However, that hasn't been the reality for much of this season (and all of last): hopefully this is a turning point in the show, quality-wise. It's simply not worth 7 mediocre-to-bad episodes for every stand out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While last night's episode was pretty solid, I feel it's weird that I got more enjoyment watching "The Talking Dead" right afterwards.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
While last night's episode was pretty solid, I feel it's weird that I got more enjoyment watching "The Talking Dead" right afterwards.
Yeah well Aisha Tyler wasn't in the episode, was she? :) - Walter.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Adam Lenhardt said:
She used Carl as a distraction, slipped in while they were all clawing at the door trying to eat him, grabbed it off the floor and then slipped back out.
Carl dropped the picture very close to the front of the store so that seems rather improbable. Even if it did play out that way, it came across as a gloss over and undermined the depth of her gesture. Especially since she had time to pick up the toy cat too. A minor quibble in a very strong episode.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I did think it was kind of odd how the scene with the photo went down. It was like she was gone and two second later was back with the photo. I was half expecting Michone to hand Carl the photo and then keel over revealing a bite mark on her neck or something.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes, the edit made it feel like there was a dropped scene(s) between Micchone's leaving and coming back.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
Eh, just a jump cut of sorts, no biggee to me.
It wasn't a big deal to me either, but the fact that the show has never done anything like that before made it a slight distraction.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The kid at this point is so wildly annoying I'm waiting for him to start getting other cast members to make jokes at the writing. "Wait, he's in trouble again, must be a Sunday.." :) I didn't understand why they didn't basically take all of the weaponry. The guy is on his own, a cook with a full armory. They took two duffel bags. That made no sense to me, in fact, I couldn't figure out how they backtracked so far to his hometown so fast, as I thought that was the other side of Atlanta or I guess I'm confused (?) It was a good episode, better than we've had, but it also got me thinking about all the pieces I'm baffled by. Why not start raiding some homes for canned goods? Or their in-home gun cabinets? I just don't know, you'd think Rick being a policeman in that town would know the people who kept their own arms in volume and gun stores. Still good stuff.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by TravisR
hat was my first thought as well but there's enough of a chance that they'd be picking up some bushwhacking SOB or a psychopath that I can understand playing it safe and leaving him. It's cruel but I get it.
Originally Posted by ScottH
I totally get not picking that guy up. Way too much risk, another mouth to feed, etc. Although I do agree it was way to coincidental/convenient that he was dead on the side of the road.
Or he could have some info, help them get food, etc. Why think he needs to be babied and cared for the whole time? Would he be any worse than a one-legged senior and, you know, an actual baby?
Originally Posted by Josh Dial
Exactly. The reason the hitchhiker wasn't picked up was because that's not the story the show wants to tell. In this world, certain aspects of humanity are a fleeting memory--even for our protagonists (arguably more so for a few of them). To want a "good guy" to "root for" misses the point of the story.
Hey, the show is the one that's decided to follow these people and have an opposing villain in The Governor, which by default makes "our" group the "good guys" to "root for". So, while I don't think Rick & co. need to be residents of Bedford Falls, it would make some sense to have them be, you know, reasonably likeable as the last gasp of decency in a mad world. That's what makes almost all post-apocalyptic stories work - despite following someone with rules that have allowed him/her to survive they keep a semblance of their decent humanity. From The Road Warrior to Dawn of the Dead to Zombieland. If Rick & co. continue on fighting the entire world - and leaving the backpacker to the walkers is Rick telling the world to screw itself aside from his group of 10 people - then I'm hoping the Governor wins. At least he'll put on the facade of niceties when ruling over you. Rick just wants to let everyone else die by lack of assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks