What's new

Wal-Mart HDTV claims (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I visited my friendly local mom and pop shop (otherwise known as Wal-Mart) the other day and noticed a sign next to their HDTV's that said, and I paraphrase:

Now, I won't claim to be all that knowledgeable regarding this sort of thing, but it would seem to me that this is blatant false advertising, isn't it? Wal-Mart wouldn't lie, would they? ;)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I visited my friendly local mom and pop shop (otherwise known as Wal-Mart) the other day and noticed a sign next to their HDTV's that said, and I paraphrase:

Now, I won't claim to be all that knowledgeable regarding this sort of thing, but it would seem to me that this is blatant false advertising, isn't it? Wal-Mart wouldn't lie, would they? ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It is blatantly false.

Eventually, tuner/decoders will be available that allow NTSC-only sets to receive and display ATSC broadcasts, but only at the sets' native 480i resolution. In no way will doing such "improve" the picture. Your friendly little "mom-and-pop" store is taking advantage of most people's ignorance about this subject (remember, the majority of citizens in this country do not even know what HDTV is).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It is blatantly false.

Eventually, tuner/decoders will be available that allow NTSC-only sets to receive and display ATSC broadcasts, but only at the sets' native 480i resolution. In no way will doing such "improve" the picture. Your friendly little "mom-and-pop" store is taking advantage of most people's ignorance about this subject (remember, the majority of citizens in this country do not even know what HDTV is).

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Watching digital TV on an analog set does offer some improved issues compared to analog TV reception, no snow or ghosts - but not higher resolution.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Watching digital TV on an analog set does offer some improved issues compared to analog TV reception, no snow or ghosts - but not higher resolution.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I find that the picture on my analog set from downconverted HD channels is noticeably better than it is from any other source, not because the TV functions better, but because the source is the highest quality available (maxed out resolution, zero chroma noise, no noticeable mpeg artifacts, etc.).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I find that the picture on my analog set from downconverted HD channels is noticeably better than it is from any other source, not because the TV functions better, but because the source is the highest quality available (maxed out resolution, zero chroma noise, no noticeable mpeg artifacts, etc.).

StephenHa

Second Unit
it's just like digital cable or sat. has a better picture than traditional antennae because it's freeer from defects (notice not free that will probably never happen)

StephenHa

Second Unit
it's just like digital cable or sat. has a better picture than traditional antennae because it's freeer from defects (notice not free that will probably never happen)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The again, the display technology in most HDTV sets is better then the comparable set sold at Walmart.. so, if you're comparing a cheap HDTV set to a cheap set-top set, yes, even with the same source material, one will look better..

Not because it's HDTV, but because it's built better then a cheap set ;)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The again, the display technology in most HDTV sets is better then the comparable set sold at Walmart.. so, if you're comparing a cheap HDTV set to a cheap set-top set, yes, even with the same source material, one will look better..

Not because it's HDTV, but because it's built better then a cheap set ;)

StephenHa

Second Unit
bingo, and all the sets thay have that look like the ones at regular stores, once the back is off there are differences (the shop I worked at was accross from wally world and did warranty repairs)

StephenHa

Second Unit
bingo, and all the sets thay have that look like the ones at regular stores, once the back is off there are differences (the shop I worked at was accross from wally world and did warranty repairs)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the TV plays DVD's with better picture quality than ordinary broadcasts, then that quotation from the Wal-Mart sign would be true.

I disagree that your mom and pop store is otherwise known as Wal-Mart. Instead your mom and pop store is the kind of store that goes out of business when a Wal-Mart opens nearby.

Reminds me of a sign in a Sears store explaining the difference between interlaced and progressive. I don't remember the details but what was said was misleading. Incidentally an HDTV program for an HDTV retail store demo feed unit could be prepared that gave a reasonable rendition of interlaced NTSC video so that on the same TV set a prospective customer could see the difference in an alternating scene or even split screen comparision.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the TV plays DVD's with better picture quality than ordinary broadcasts, then that quotation from the Wal-Mart sign would be true.

I disagree that your mom and pop store is otherwise known as Wal-Mart. Instead your mom and pop store is the kind of store that goes out of business when a Wal-Mart opens nearby.

Reminds me of a sign in a Sears store explaining the difference between interlaced and progressive. I don't remember the details but what was said was misleading. Incidentally an HDTV program for an HDTV retail store demo feed unit could be prepared that gave a reasonable rendition of interlaced NTSC video so that on the same TV set a prospective customer could see the difference in an alternating scene or even split screen comparision.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Iver

Second Unit
Most STB's have a 480i output option, via either composite, S-Video, or compoNENT connection, which will work with that type of input on an NTSC TV. The picture will be better quality than OTA NTSC and should definitely be better than digital cable.

Iver

Second Unit
Most STB's have a 480i output option, via either composite, S-Video, or compoNENT connection, which will work with that type of input on an NTSC TV. The picture will be better quality than OTA NTSC and should definitely be better than digital cable.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
HD downconverted by the receiver to 480i (and all stbs can do this) will look at least as good as dvd, far better than any cable signal and also better than probably 99% of over the air ntsc signals. I've tried it myself and it's true. The result reminded me of the crystal clear image we got from DirecTV back in 96 before their SD pq went to hell from overcompression due to cramming in too many crappy channels.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
HD downconverted by the receiver to 480i (and all stbs can do this) will look at least as good as dvd, far better than any cable signal and also better than probably 99% of over the air ntsc signals. I've tried it myself and it's true. The result reminded me of the crystal clear image we got from DirecTV back in 96 before their SD pq went to hell from overcompression due to cramming in too many crappy channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks