Waking the Dead

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Lucas, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Hello all---

I was at my local Wal-Mart the other day when I noticed a huge bin full of DVDs and VHS tapes marked down to something like $6 each. A feeding frenzy was taking place, so I didn't get much of a look at what was being offered [surely the DVDs were full screen, right?]. However, I noticed a VHS copy of Waking the Dead starring Billy Crudup and Jennifer Connelly. I remember liking this film when I first saw it a year or more ago.

Once I was at my computer, I checked into getting the DVD only to find that there are apparently two different DVDs of this film.

Amazon.com lists the two versions. The first has an ASIN # of 6306010947. It lists the following special features:

Commentary by director Keith Gordon
    30 minutes of Deleted Footage

The second [more recent?] release has an ASIN # of B00007ELES and Amazon.com lists no special features for the disc.

Can anyone offer any feedback on whether the second release includes the bonus features? Is either release 16x9 enhanced? Is the first, which supposedly includes the special features, out of print?

Interestingly enough, DVD Planet lists a single version with the following specs:

1.85:1, Anamorphic16x9
    Color
    5.1 Dolby Digital, Stereo
    Product Features:
    Commentary/Multi-Audi
    Cast/Crew Biographies
    Closed Caption
    Deleted Footage
    Making Of
    Trailer

Hmmm...

And Buy.com lists the same specs as DVD Planet, but no deleted scenes.

If anyone can shed some light on this release, please do!

Thanks,
    mattl

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

IIRC, the disc is anamorphic and DVDEmpire lists it as having over 45 minutes of deleted scenes. The two seperate bar codes probably indicate a repricing. It is ON ORDER at DVDEmpire, but the price is a cool $15.16. Great price for a great film.

Bruce

3. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

I've only seen the version with the commentary and deleted scenes for sale in Canada (when I see it at all, it's kinda obscure).
    At any rate, if you're a fan of Jennifer, there is at least one deleted scene that you will want to see. [​IMG]

4. Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback.

mattl

5. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

This is a great film. When Keith Gordon its it big with 'The Singing Detective' everyone will be seeking ou his past films.

Except maybe Jaws 2.[​IMG]