What's new

Wagon Train - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, my Sam's Club didn't have it again today. Unfortunately I was too busy to try and find a manager to inquire further (none were lurking near me at the time). I'll check again tomorrow if I'm able and see if I can get some info. But I looked through every section carefully this morning and it just wasn't there. I'm hoping this isn't going to be one of those things were only certain SC stores are going to carrry it, while others don't get shipments of the particular title.

I do love the price. Just what the doctored ordered as far as that goes. If I don't see any tomorrow I'll give them till next Tuesday and then I'll have to get a manager and talk to him/her. I'm not waiting until Black Friday and have them sell out or something. I don't do Black Friday, except from the comfort of my own home, so if I don't have the set in hand by next Wednesday at the latest I may be out of luck.

Gary "thanks for the info, Tim" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/292000/wagon-train-season-1/30#post_3629976
Brad, you may be in luck. I just found a flyer in my local paper stating that Sam's is doing a one-day pass event this weekend (Nov 20-22). Something for you to check into.
Thanks Tim, I will check in to that. Could save me 10%.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Gary, your location just may be late in putting it out.
It wasn't on the racks here Tuesday evening when I stopped by after work, even though there were other Timeless titles there I hadn't seen before, including both sets of Arrest & Trial for $15.46. (In fact, it was those sets that brought me back into the store last night.)
If you're going to talk to a manager, here is some useful information: ISBN 0-7411-2556-0, bar code 0 11301 62065 1

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks Tim!!! Much appreciated, and if I don't see the title sitting on the shelves next time I'm in I'll use the info you supplied to try and see what's going on in this particular store.

Gary "if you get a chance I'd love to know about the general a/v quality in this set too, Tim - and thanks again for everything" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Hmmm...I may have to check out the Arrest and Trial sets too. I have the second set that contains the Roddy McDowall episode that got him an Emmy nomination. I may have to try the first set.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Amazon just dropped their price again to $59.95, and there is a vendor that is offering it on Ebay for $46.79 -- Digital Dog pound - He has excellent feedback. I just placed my order through him. He probably obtained his copies from Sam's. Anyhow, I'm all set.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just picked up Wagon Train season 1 at Sam's today for 39.88. It comes in a collectors tin.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just as a sidelight. At BJs they had Sgt Preston season 1+2,Wyatt Earp season 1 and Spike Jones from Infinity for 16-99 ea.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
On the Wagon Train Season 1 set the Tin is shaped like the front of a Wagon. The Cardboard holder inside holds the 10 discs. I was kinda hoping that they would have a regular package inside. Loooks ok . Can't wait to check out the 39eps.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Gary, I've only spot checked one episode so far ("The Jesse Cowan Story") and the quality was on the same level as the earlier B&W Wagon Train episodes from Timeless.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks again, Tim.

Gary "as long as the episodes are similar in quality to the b/w ones in that mega set I'm in" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Someone issue a "Cease and Desist" order You guys are making it tough to pass on this one during the Sam's exclusive window time.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I've given the first six discs a quick run through.
Disappointingly, none of the episodes are divided into chapters.
With one exception, the lengths are timing out between 49:00 and 50:30, so they are substantially complete.
And with a couple of exceptions, the PC is quite good. Most look like 16mm (a little soft, a little grainy, but highly watchable.) However, some (like "The Luke O'Malley Story") are just a notch below the best B&W transfers I've seen of TV shows of this vintage.
And now for the exceptions.
"The Dora Gray Story" just appears way too bright, with no true blacks.
And the worst quality episode on the set (so far) is "The Ruth Owens Story." Not only does it obviously come from a substandard, but watchable, tape source (not nearly as bad as the worst of M Squad, though), but it's also the shortest episode, coming in at 47:53.
If that is as bad as the set gets, then this is a definite winner in my book.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I've finished up the last four discs, and found three more episodes running short:

"The Sarah Drummond Story" (46:34)
"The Major Adams Story, Part I" (47:14)
"The Major Adams Story, Part II" (46:50)

The picture quality holds up across the set. With the one exception I mentioned previously, the episodes are at least very good, and often much better than that.

Given the expectations for a Timeless release, I do not think anyone waiting for this set will be disappointed.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
It's available for preorder at CD universe, and its only $40.14!
Shipping is a bit expensive: $6.99 because its a 10-disc set, but if you use google checkout, you can save an additional $5.00 so the final total came to $42.13.
It's set to be released Tues, Dec 15.

S

silverking

I've never used CD Universe but that is a comparatively good price.

Anyone any experience of them, how do they compare to Amazon, Deep Discount ?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverking
Chris, I've used them in years past and they never gave me any trouble. It's been a while since I ordered from them so I can't give specifics, but I don't have any bad memories.
Gary "wish I could be of more help with specifics, but it's been a couple of years since I bought anything from them" O.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by silverking /forum/thread/292000/wagon-train-season-1/60#post_3636992
I've only used them once before because their prices are usually more expensive than amazon and Deep Discount, but I didn't have any problems. However, I just had to order from them because they had the lowest price on this set. Plus, they have a partnership with google checkout so you can get some good deals sometimes.
I didn't think about it before, but if you don't want to order from them, then maybe you could get one of the other retailers to price match. I don't know if they do that anymore, but its worth a try.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm still waiting on this set and On the Two Wells Fargo sets, I'm keeping my Eye on Amazon I think after the Holidays we'll see substantial Drops on these sets. At least that was the pattern on the M Squad Set...

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I agree. I think the only reason the Wagon Train season 1 price is set so high right now is that they don't have it to sell, it is still only sold through Sam's. That price should lower to the low to mid $40 range at some point.

I'm not sure why the 6 DVD set of Wells Fargo is so high. Maybe they currently don't have any. I purchased that one back in September for $28. I would assume it would hit that price point some time again.

Typically all those big Timless sets go down to 50% at some point. I picked up the Wagon Train color season and M-Squad at those same price points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks