What's new

W. (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Lionsgate"..

Looking forward to this one. Great actors and Stone.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
So, this is actually a comedy? Has Oliver Stone done comedies before? I don’t remember.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I have concerns about this because I know they wanted it out by Nov.

Stone was my favrotie fillmaker for years (Platton - Nixon), so I still have hope that he has a few really great films left in him.

My brother missed his big chance. He should have auditioned People tell him he looks like Powell all the time.

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/2...ypowellrc2.jpg :D

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Just saw it on another link from YouTube.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I'm actually looking forward to this movie now, and this is coming from someone who can't stand him.

See it while you can before it is pulled again:
YouTube - W. - Teaser

The use of "What a Wonderful World" alone is very heartfelt.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD

Wow, he does.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

With Oliver Stone I have noticed that he doesn’t care that much if the characters look like their real life counterparts or not. He actually always casts known famous actors that resemble them a little! Just look at JFK and Nixon.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Looked pretty good, surprisingly so. And other than the title and the ironic use of "What a Wonderful World", looked like pretty straight docudrama. When you think of how Dubya transformed himself from a reckless fratboy to a president elected twice by the states and once by the people, it's a hell of a story. Loved Cromwell's line as H.W. about acting like a Kennedy.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
my opinion on bush won't be a factor on if is see this movie.

my opinion on what i think of Stone is.

I'll see it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not a fan of Bush; haven't been a fan of Stone's work in about 17 years.

But I will see this.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you need or don't need to be a fan of Bush to find his story fascinating (if done well of course). Oliver Stone is a hit or miss with me.. especially with his "bio"-pics. I'm a fan of JFK and Nixon (and Born on the Fourth of July if that can count) but not so much The Doors and Alexander.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
It's subject matter he feels passionately about, taking place in a time period he understands well- a good sign, as this seems to be when he makes his best pictures.

Obviously, being a fan of the main character isn't necessary to appreciate the film (Travis Bickle, Richard Nixon, Tony Montana, and so on).

Been waiting for Stone to 'bounce back' for a few films now- I keep hoping he's just in his "Kundun/Bringing Out the Dead" phase and about to come back in a big way, as Scorsese has.

Except WTC, Stone's output still fascinates me, but it's his impressive skill on his 80s/90s films that just can't be ignored. Even if he makes turkeys for the rest of his career, JFK and Nixon will remain favorite films of mine.

The only "if" factor is the ludicrous production schedule- his best films seem way too complicated to make in such a short time frame. We shall see.

Regards,
Nathan

MikeRS

Screenwriter
I've always liked Stone (mid-80s till late 90s), but I think Josh Brolin is the real draw for me here.

Hope this continues his streak from last year (He also has Gus Van Sant's "Milk" this year).

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I would say on a certain level Stone might even relate to Bush directly even if they don't share politics. They both come from privileged families, attended Yale, had strained relationships with their fathers. It's an interesting compare-and-contrast.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
One could make the case that Natural Born Killers is a comedy. A very dark comedy, but a comedy.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

To me, Natural Born Killers is a satire which differs significantly from being a dark comedy.

Naturally a satire can have humorous elements as can a dark comedy. But I think that the filmmakers are providing a witty commentary on the media and our use of the media rather than going for or providing laughs. C'est la différence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks