What's new

Vudu resets user passwords after hard drives lost in office burglary (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Apparently, Wal-Mart is offering free identity protection for one year through AllClear ID to make up for this snafu.

You can read the article on CNET.

Thankfully, I never recorded a credit card with Vudu, as I have only used a free rental code (from when they first launched on the PS3) and for UltraViolet streaming.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It didn't impact everyone, but because they would have to verify everyone impacted, they are just giving everyone 1 year of identity theft protection.

I can't remember the last time a story like this came from a smash and grab, someone running into the building and physically stealing the data.

mitch_vudu

Auditioning
Real Name
Mitch
Todd Erwin said:
Thankfully, I never recorded a credit card with Vudu, as I have only used a free rental code (from when they first launched on the PS3) and for UltraViolet streaming.
Todd, from our FAQ: "It's important to note that the drives did NOT contain full credit card numbers, as we do not store that information."

If anyone has any questions about the incident, please see the special FAQ we've set up here: http://www.vudu.com/password_faq.html

If you still have unanswered questions after reading the FAQ, please do not hesitate to call or email us through the link.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
That is really great to hear, but I think the Consumerist piece may have alluded to the fact that full credit card numbers were taken, too, FYI.

I'm not saying that you're wrong and they're right, obviously. Just the contrary. I just wanted to let you know, as that was the impression that I was under.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Yeah, me too. I'm not worried about it, but I just wanted to let him know in his official capacity that I think news outlets have kind of started misreporting/misrepresenting this event almost instantly after the news broke.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The point I was making was that, just in case credit card numbers were found to be intact, I should be safe, as I have never recorded a card number with the service.
mitch_vudu said:
Todd, from our FAQ: "It's important to note that the drives did NOT contain full credit card numbers, as we do not store that information."

If anyone has any questions about the incident, please see the special FAQ we've set up here: http://www.vudu.com/password_faq.html

If you still have unanswered questions after reading the FAQ, please do not hesitate to call or email us through the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks