What's new

Vudu In-Home Disc to Digital Launches to Public (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Vudu’s in-home disc-to-digital program — which allows users to unlock digital versions of their DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, and access them via the cloud — has launched out of private beta to public beta.

The service lets users convert titles to digital — many enabled by UltraViolet for $2 for DVD or Blu-ray, or $5 to convert a DVD to high-definition. Not all films are available for disc to digital, and not all titles available for disc to digital are also UltraViolet enabled.

Paramount Home Media Distribution, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Lionsgate and Warner Home Video are among those backing disc to digital.
The in-home software uses Gracenote video recognition technology and features a database that includes metadata for movies and TV shows. Gracenote identifies the discs, and users then choose high-definition and standard-definition.

How many folks out there use Vudu? How many of those would use this service?

JonGMH

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Harrison
I use Vudu but I think that charging for a copy of your own movie to sit on their cloud is extortionate. This whole system should be free of charge.
I laugh when in Walmart and the Blu-ray copy of the film costs lots more than the DVD (there can't be a massive difference in the cost of manufacture) and then they want to charge you $5 to access a copy on the cloud. Why? You've just paid to buy a limited licence to watch it. Why not allow you to watch it anywhere.
Such a free system may tempt people to pay for their films. I cannot see how charging people massive amounts for disks and online access can persuade them to turn away from pirated versions.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I love vudu, and think that Disc to Digital it is a very valuable service. To be able to add a Blu-ray for $1 and upgrade a DVD for 2.50 is very worthwhile. I have almost 400 movies in my UV account, and plan to add more as they become available. I just wish they would add more titles to the service. Why some people feel entitled to a free digital copy, just because they bought a DVD is beyond me. They knew it didn't come with a digital copy when they bought it. So why complain about a very small upgrade fee? Is it not worth a few bucks to be able to watch that movie on a iPad, or roku box, or Laptop that you can take to the hotel, or any other place they happen to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks