What's new

VSDA report from DVD Review: (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This article needs to be read in its entirety in order not to be misled by a couple of comments in quotes because the writer has clearly stated that there isn't much difference between the two HD formats technically speaking.

Crawdaddy

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The guy comes across as overly negative. And he got this wrong:

Now, it's true that Walmart isn't really "pushing" HDDVD, and it's not available at all stores, but you CAN buy it there, including walmart.com. And, of course, it's available at Frys and BB.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Wow, that was so negative, I did not bother to read it all.

- Steve

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

I think he's way off base here. You can get a "universal" DVD player right now in the $150-$250 range, but there still exist many stand alone DVD players. Even if combo players drop in price, I think you'll still be able to buy stand alone SD-DVD, HD DVD and BD Players.

Pete T C

Second Unit
DVDReview in past reports has been overly biased towards Blu-Ray. Perhaps now that Blu-Ray is underperforming, everything has to suck since HD-DVD can't be good :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Early adopters struggling with which format to buy into? Hardly. The answer is becomming painfully easy. Read any forum and HD-DVD is the favored format. Read most any professional review, the same. But, because of Bills bias towards Sony he'll never admit it.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

I have to disagree.

Until the DL BR's come out, nothing's decided. If the DL BR's come out, and look as good as HD-DVD's, the whole trend will shift again.

A few very early adopters aren't going to change things yet, now if we're 6-12 months down the road and there's no DL BR's or the DL BR's look bad, then things may be decided.

But nothing is decided yet, especially given all of Toshiba's problems just getting Players to the market. You can't sell a format if you can't produce enough Players to fuel just the very early adopters.

Juan C

Second Unit
You quote:

The way you quoted it, it looked like Blu-ray made it clip.

One piece of advice: if you want to quote something out of context, don't ever give the link. It's self-defeating. ;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
They're still shipping and selling. The local BB blueshirt told me last week that the minute the HD-DVD players hit the shelf, they're sold. But yes, Toshiba needs to get more out faster. I think once they get the newer processor issues worked out they be shipping in bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks