What's new

Voom HDTV (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Sorry it stands for Picture Quality. I heard that there PVR will be available in the summer of this year.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Steve F M,

If you don't get any black bars at the top and bottom of movies with OAR of 2.35:1, then they ARE cropping the movie. It doesn't matter how big the TV is or what brand you're watching. A 2.35:1 movie is going to have black bars, albeit thinner than on a standard TV set.

Jon Sciabica

Agent
Just got VOOM today. I seriously rules! I have a Hitachi 51swx, and it looks amazing. They also installed an over the air antena (no extra charge). I watched CSI in high def, and completely uncompressed (nice). But Discover HD looks the best IMO. Nothing but smiles so far.

PQ is Picture Quality

BrianAe

Second Unit
After checking them out on the web, at first glance, I thought VOOM. However, can it be true that there is no ESPN and no USA?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Jon,

Any problems with your installation? Did they install the diplexor, or did they run a separate coax for the OTA?

I'm having mine installed tomorrow. :emoji_thumbsup:

Cecil Lemons

Auditioning
I am new here, just bought a Mitsubishi 65" Wide screen.

I was interested in Voom. Do they lease you the equipment and charge $9.50 a month for it plus the programming package chosen?

Cecil

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The lease program works like cable.

Pay $9.50 plus programming charges.

Otherwise buy VOOM outright at $400.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
How good is the OTA antenna?

I can tell you why Voom isn't selling....after reading about the 9.50 lease rate, no install charges, no contracts we eagerly went to Sears to check out the system.

No signage, useless sales people, old brochures, and they had it hooked upto a crappy Mitsu RP HDTV that required you to sit at eye level to even see the picture and of course they had SD channels on.

The guy was totally useless, no information, no help, no picture quality to check out.

You figuire if its as good as they say they'd have the unit on a nice Plasma/LCD/DLP rather than a old RP unit...I'm still seriously interested but the big question is, how good is the OTA unit?

I'm pretty far out and can get 90 percent of the channels just fine with my Terk in the garage, I want to make sure they will supply me with a workable unit before hand.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
My Mitsu RP HDTV certainly does not require you to sit at eye level to even see the picture.

I happen to prefer RPTV to plasma screens, because I like my blacks to be black . . . not gray.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Eric,

I'll tell you how good their OTA is later, my installer just called and he is right down the street.

As for your current antenna, you could probably have them connect the Voom receiver to that antenna and not even bother with theirs. I believe that Voom uses the Channel Master StealthTenna Model 3010.

Here is a link (borrowed from Satelliteguys.us) showing what the antenna looks like: http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/s1.htm

Vlad

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I called Voom, they told me with 45 miles of the signal tower they will guarentee reception and beyond that they said 'they will make it work with different equipment'

I'm 90 percent of the way there...free install, free antenna, 39.95 per month plus the 9.50 for the base package.

I am still confused on locals....and so are they :)

I asked are locals OTA, they said yes, but you also get locals over sat in HD as long as the market can provide them a HD feed....have to call back.

The other part I didn't get an answer on was are the national feeds HD when possible, liks CBS is on DTV.

My only complaint is the high pressure sale on the phone,they could not answer my important questions but still pushed getting me setup for install.

Good things, no contract, no cancellation fee's, free install....so I guess if they prefer not to answer my questions then I can get it installed and decide for myself.

The credit card thing bugs me...the whole sales pitch, too good to be true contracts, but pay only by credit card. I don't care if its by CC, but all the good stuff makes me wonder how hard it will be to get them to cancel...I've read nightmares about AOL trying to get cancelled and continually charging.

I've had my fair share of those, Sony Online, Financial Times, and a real estate site I frequent, I cancel, they keep charging.

Vlad, let me know how it goes, all things considered I still might try it.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
AOL are bastards...

I had to get nasty with the woman before she would close the account... Horrible... just horrible...

Never again with AOL...

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Eric,

All I can say is that if you are sitting on the fence....get off. I am totally impressed with Voom. Can't tell you much about the Voom-exclusive channel's content, since I haven't really had a chance to watch them much yet, but the PQ is awesome. Plus the PQ is also great on the HD channels from HBO, Showtime, Starz, Movie Channel, Cinemax, Bravo and Discovery (I got the Va Va Voom package). I know that you were concerned about getting the locals with their antenna; so was I, but it didn't turn out to be a problem. I get all my local channels ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, UPN, WB, PBS, Telemundo and Univision. There is one local channel, WLRN, that I don't get even though it shows up in my guide. Also, I used to be able to get a West palm Beach channel, FOX 29-1, with my old setup that I can no longer get.

But besides that, I am totally satisfied with Voom so far. I have heard some installation horror stories but thankfully for me it was not the case. My installers were very professional and did a great job. They even ran a separate line for my OTA antenna although at first they were a bit hesitant about doing it. Again, if your thinking abut it, I say go for it. With their zero down no commitment no cancellation fee offer you really don't have much to lose.

Vlad

Edit: Typo. :D

Cecil Lemons

Auditioning
I am scheduled to have installation of VOOM on March 22nd.
They don't tell you who installs the system in your area.

What kind of Installation horror stories are you talking about? Just a short note will be fine.

Cecil

I am getting Voom hooked up this weekend, cannot wait to get the additional HD channels. I would have to say that I think Sears is a poor choice to use as a retailer. More often than not the gear is setup improperly, and the sales personnel are clueless about the equipment they are selling. Eric, there is no way that a Mits RPTV HD is crappy, unless it hasnt been properly calibrated. I wouldnt be surprised if that Mits monitor you were looking at was still in torch mode. All HDTV monitors look like crap in torch mode, but once calibrated, especially a Mitsubishi, I will take these beauties over plasma any day.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Well Voom stood me up or should I say their installer!:angry: Now they will come sat put I cant be hear on sat for two weeks.:angry: And still out the days pay!:angry: Is all this worth it??????:confused:

Chuck L

Screenwriter
We are waiting for our Voom to be installed, supposed to happen this coming Saturday, March 27th. Looking forward to it much after reading the post here.

My partner and I stopped by our local Sears this past weekend, and I have to agree that Sears doesn't seem like the best choice as an retail outlet...for anything really.

In asking two of the sales people about Voom, one said that he didn't know anything about and the other looked at me and asked "What's Voom?" I responded back, "It is what you all have over there on that television." "Oh,"...he responded back, "alright." Needless to say, we simply walked out of the store.

You could at least think that they could be broadcasting Voom within their store as a method of knowing what you are getting and seeing the quality, but alas, it appears that what they were running was a DVD for Voom.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Vlad D
Thanks for the link very helpful:emoji_thumbsup:
high gane ant on the way:D It a shame i had to ask voom about it.
Chuck L you are sOOOOOOO right !!! sears is very badddddd for voom!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks