What's new

Voom HDTV (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
No on here has subscribed?
I think I am going to Sears this weekend and see what they have to offer.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A little on the expensive side; nearly $800 and $40 a month with no regular cable channels.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
I am having mine installed this Monday (March 8th)! I opted for the zero down, and 9.50 rental a month vs. the $499 flat fee. They are supposed to be releasing a PVR for Voom in the near future. They do not offer local channels via satellite, but will soon, according to the rep. The very best of their deal is, no contract!
I will let you know how it looks on my 57" Toshiba Cinema Series.
Anyone know what kind of receiver they use?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Gregg,

How do you like Voom?

I saw a commercial for Voom during the Oscars and thought I'd advantage of their current deal. Just wanted to get some feedback before I took the plunge.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Gregg ande do keep us posted. I have two HD receivers, plus a dual tuner Tivo and it seems as though I’m trapped in DirecTV, whose service I like overall—just not enough HD.

I’m on the fence on switching and am quite interested in your experiences with Voom.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Losing my HD local feed and HD Nesn feed for the Sox is keeping me on Comcast Cable and off the voom deal. I would'nt mind dropping comcast thou.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
EVERYTHING gets cropped to 16X9.....even old movies and TV shows get the top and bottom cropped out so the screen is filled.

That would drive me crazy and I would never consider the service unless they go OAR all the way.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
When you say "EVERYTHING gets cropped to 16X9" do you mean just the Voom exclusive HD channels? Or does that also include HBO HD, Showtime HD, etc.....?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Also, I believe all the standard def channels get stretched to 16:9. I say leave them alone and allow the user to decide (using his set).

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Well I did it! I called Voom this afternoon, and they are coming out on the 13th to install. I went for the zero down, lease option with the Va Va Voom package. I'll let you guys know jow it turns out.

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
When I saw this thread, I figured that Voom was history. Then I got a Western Union letter from them this weekend with the following offer:

$0 up front costs, free installation, $9.50 per month per box. "No equipment to purchase, no long-term commitment".

Almost makes me want to try it....

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Just had mine installed and wow what a difference from Directv and Dish. The HDTV content and PQ is far and above both Dish and Directv and the SD Programming is also better. As far as cropping Voom's HD Programming, I can't tell a difference on my 65 inch Mits which is 16x9. One other nice thing is they include the Channel Master Stealthtenna which I now receive all my Locals in Hi-Def(when the programming is HDTV). I didn't relize that all my OTA Stations were already upgraded to DTV.

Voom is for real and for $39.90 a month compared to my Directv which was $59 month for a few HDTV channels and no locals this is a no brainer.

There are alot nay sayers out there about Voom, but I think most of them are the unlucky souls that got sucked into the Directv or Dish 2 year commitment.

Heck for No Money Down and No Commitment how can you lose with Voom!!! Highly REQ'd

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
Wow. That seems like a heck of a deal. At the present time, I've got Time Warner Digital Cable. Because my apartment complex already pays for "basic extended" service... I'm only paying the difference between that and their digital package. So, my cable bill is just $20.00/mo. or mo give or take a few taxes. I have my local programming in high definition (approx. 3-4 channels) as well as the channels that Time Warner Cable also offers in high definition including two different INHD channels, Discovery HD, and two different HDNet channels courtesy of Mr. Mark Cuban... heh heh... I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far hooked up to my Samsung HLN-567W. The one cable box that I do have from Time Warner Cable is obviously a monthly rental and it's pretty convenient since that's the only piece of equipment I need to receive HD content. *shrug* I didn't click on the link above but how many HD channels are we talking about that VOOM offers and at what price point?? I'd like to think that I've got it pretty good right now. But more would be nice... ;)

Scott.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
21 Exclusive HD Channels. Also your Locals that Broadcast in HDTV you will also receive(For me that is 5) plus 40 of favorite SD cable channels all for $39.90. If you bump upto the Va Va Voom Package which is $79.90 you would Add 9 HBO's (2 are Hi-Def) 9 Cinemax (2 are Hi-def) 9 Showtime (2 are Hi-def)9 Stars and Encore (3 are Hi-Def) HD Discovery HD Bravo, and HD Football Network. Coming Soon HD Playboy

Breakdown:

$39.90 Plan:

21-27 Hi-Def Channels (Depending on how many OTA Locals are broadcast in HDTV)
40 SD Cable Channels
18 Digital Music Channels

$79.90 Plan:

33-39 Hi-Def Channels(Depending on how many OTA Locals are broadcast in HDTV)
40 SD Cable Channels
27 Premium Channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.)
18 Digital Music Channels

By the way the SD Programming is much better on Voom then Directv or Dish and far better then my Comcast I had!!

I can't see how Voom can't sell this product. After my father saw the SuperBowl in Hi-Def now thats all he talks about. He will be a Voom subscriber very shortly.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
EVERYTHING gets cropped to 16X9
Or this?

I don't know. I also figured out I'd be losing my local FOX Sports Net channel broadcasted in high definition... and since the T'Wolves are on fire right now, I'll have to entertain the idea of getting VOOM at a later time. I get a lot more programming for the mere $20.00/mo. that I pay... it's a pretty decent savings. ;)

Scott.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
21 would be the number of H-Def Programming not including your Locals. I receive 5 so my number is 26 Hi-Def Channels for $39.90. I will be upgrading to Va Va Voom package next week which would bring my Total Hi-Def Channels upto 38 channels.

The PQ of the SD on Voom is much better then Dish which I just got rid of and Directv which my Father has. Comcast I won't even put them in the same sentence as there PQ just plain Sucks.

have read they crop any 2:35:1 films to 1:85:1

I can't tell if they do this or not. It is not noticable at all on my Mits HDTV.

All and all I much happier with Voom then any of previous satellite or cable choices before. Directv would be my next choice but they have been promising me my Locals for the last 12 months.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
What is PQ? Also, any idea when Voom will have a PVR? That is my only hold up... Wife won't have it any other way... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks