What's new

Volume discrepancy issues? (1 Viewer)

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
I've encountered a strange and ever more noticeable quirk in my setup recently, I hope someone can help. The answer may be something stupid, I don't know.

Current setup:
Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver
Denon DVD-1600
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 + 4x CBM-170
Dish DVR-921
Xbox360
Audio Authority 1154A switch

When I watch non-DD/DTS programming, i.e. SD broadcasts, volume is clear and full on all channels, and well balanced.

It seems when I switch to a 5.1 signal, there is a huge discrepancy between "inside voices" and "dramatic action."

Example:
Receiver is set at 50 for "normal listening."

I put on a DD-enabled DVD. Scene has 2 people talking normally, I have to crank the volume to 62 to hear what they're saying. Next scene is full of yelling and explosions, my eardrums start bleeding and I lower the volume down to 46. Explosions finish, people start talking normally again. Again, volume needs to go back up to 62.

This happens with my DVD player, all HD programming, Xbox360 - basically any digital signal.

I have no idea where to start checking for problems. Could this be caused by a loose cable somewhere? All sources (Audio and video) lead into the 1154A and then into the receiver. I calibrated all levels with an SPL meter a while back.

Any help would be appreciated.

chris_everett

Second Unit
The material in your standard SD broadcast is very compressed. (Dynamic compression, not data compression) DVD's and the like arent. The real problem that you probably have is a lousy accoustical environment, which can make it very difficult to hear two people talking "normally" Most DVD players have a compression option that may help. (On some DVD players this feature can _suck_) so use with caution.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
what sound processing are you using for your onkyo? Selecting Direct or autoformat may solve your issues. try some different sound processing, see what works

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks