What's new

Voltron TV series - Will it ever be released in R1? (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
um, the tin is not flat, but the head doesn't stick out several inches. it is a three dimensional front cover.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Yes - the tin is definitely not flat, which is why just about every copy at my local BB was crushed as if the lion had been punched in the face. Some parts (like the nose and ears) stick out more than others. It just isn't visible in the picture.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The Australian DVDs were released a couple of years ago, and didn't feature the exhaustive new digital restoration job that the American-produced discs boast. Also, as I understand it, the Aussie DVDs likewise didn't showcase the entire series's run, only selected episodes.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I wished they had put the corresponding GoLion episodes along side the kiddie Voltron ones all in one box. Sort of like Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman series was handled. I mean, if you want both versions, US and Japanese, its going to be very costly when they're all ultimately released. Then there's the Diarugger XV and Vehicle Voltron...

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
It's totally understandable that they did it this way, and IMO better. I'd bet most people just want Voltron and don't really care about GoLion, and wouldn't want to pay extra for it either so it makes sense to sell it separately. And then there are people like me who didn't grow up with Voltron and thus have no interest in paying for that one. It's too bad for those who want both, but that's probably the smallest group out of the three.

And that combined Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets thing was just for select episodes, and they didn't have to pay for any remastering either.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Well, I'm kind of torn between the two versions actually. I mean, I watched the show as Voltron when I was a kid and loved it. So there is some nostalgic value in it. But the writing and voice acting is terrible, especially Sven and Pidge. It didn't bother me as a kid of course, but it grates on my nerves now. I bought the DVD set a few days ago simply because I wanted to see it again after so many years. I'm not sure I'm going to buy the rest of them. The restoration job they did however, is most impressive. I couldn't believe the lengths they went to. Actually re-editing it all over again from the new GoLion prints? Now that's dedication.

But if they were both released at the same time, I'd pick GoLion in a heartbeat. I'm definitely curious to see what its like. The plot at least seems more interesting and adult. Usually, the way these things go, the Japanese counterpart is written with the assumption that the audience has a brain.

And whats up with the interviews? One guy looked like he was being interviewed in the dark, and the rest of them are looking straight into the camera they they are giving a presidential address. And that dude's moustache...

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
You guys seem to have been unlucky. The copy I purchased at Best Buy did not have a crushed tin, it's perfect in every way and sure, the dialogue is going to be cheesy as hell but this is the way they weren't to be experienced.

Speed Racer, Voltron, Robotech, Johnny Sokko, Astro Boy, the writing cannot be compared to what we experience in this current time. You have to appreciate these shows for what they were back then. I still enjoy sitting down and watching Speed Racer and Voltron in all of its cheesy glory but I still love these shows. They deserved to be experienced by our children because they will appreciate them as well ...

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G

You mean, this is the way they WERE to be experienced! :P

(iam still waiting fot SPORT BILLY to be released on dvd)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I didn't realize it when I ordered, but I got the tin version from Amazon so it doesn't seem like it is exclusive just to Best Buy.

Paul

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The tin's pretty much everywhere now -- it's the "keepcase" version that's the WallyWorld-exclusive for the moment, though in time the "loaded" tin will be discontinued, and the stripped-down keepcase released wide.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
No pushed nose in my copy, though the set was HIT on the top side of the tin making the plastic case inside where the DVD are hosted to be chopped broken a bit. oh well.. and I thought Amazon was carefull!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
OOPS, Demis, you caught me on one of those rare moments where I posted a typo ... I meant to say Were not Weren't ... ehehe ...

I still love these episodes. I felt like I was reliving my childhood all over again ... now to go back to watching Ultraman ...

Oh, and the cover is more raised than it is several inches .... eheheh ...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Must say (after having watched all the episodes and special features in the set this past week) that I'm very impressed with it, and the packaging was something far more substantial than I was originally expecting.

The collector's tin has a ton of weight and "heft" to it -- it's a very thick and meaty piece of work -- and for the reasonable price Media Blasters are charging for it, it's unbelievable that Wal-Mart would have a greatly-stripped-down version going sometimes for more than the actual tin itself! That, and the restored episodes are simply worth the price of the set all by themselves. Gorgeous.

Can't wait for Vol. 2 in November...and most of all for the Vehicle Voltron episodes next year. My appetite is now fully-whetted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks