What's new

Voltron TV series - Will it ever be released in R1? (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Tempted to pick it up... This was defiantely better than transformers back in the day but will i like it today is the question. hmmmm

MattQuack

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Just picked up this set at Best Buy, so they are around, I've gotta say it looks pretty impressive, from the tin, to the dvd's themselves, it's top notch.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've watched the first DVD so far and I have to say that Media Blasters, for once in their history, has released a product of quality. The remastered video, despite its age, was the best I have seen in such a long time. The collectors tin was awesome as well.

What I didn't like? The interior DVD box ... to be frank, it sucks on a major level. My point? For those who plan on watching the DVD's over and over again, by continually retrieving the digipak out of the container, the digipak is going to end up being sacrificed/damaged. Couldn't Media Blasters have found a better way to store the DVD's inside, like something that is connected to the inside of the tin that folds out? Come on, it's just a standard digipak. I would have been more apt buying a standard version of the set without the tin.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
You may get your wish, but with a catch -- it's mentioned above that Media Blasters are going to eventually release the DVD sets in "standard" digipak packaging, but also without any of the bonus features. This won't happen for awhile, and if you like the supplements, go for the tins; but if that's the case, grab 'em while you can.

That said...I'll be hunting around my local Best Buy and Wally-Worlds to see if I can't scrounge one up sooner. My Amazon pre-order hasn't shipped yet, so I can still cancel.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the picture looks very good and the 5.1 sound is outstanding, a better mix than many movies.

Patrick.C

Second Unit

Agreed. The digipak is a very snug fit and scrapes going in and out. A slightly larger tin and a foam surround for the digipak would have been nice. On another packaging note, at my Best Buy they had plenty of copies on the shelf, but just about all of them were crushed in the face of the lion. It looks like they were packed tight in a box and crushed each other. I found two copies out of the whole group that were still in good shape. A couple of them were really bad - dented clear through to the edges of both the top and bottom pieces of the tin.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
We've heard from a few people that picked it up at Walmart, but it wasn't in the tin, it was in standard packaging. Walmart also lists something for the 26th, which may be the tin set.

Gord

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Yep someone over on DVDtalk is saying this very thing; he picked up the set in WalMart, despite the fact that it wasn't in a tin but had standard slipcase style packaging. He's saying that he doesn't see any extras in there - just the episodes.

I thought that MB were only doing their "budget" release after the tins had finished? Also the WalMart ones look as though they are the same price as the tins!

I sincerely hope that this won't happen at online stores like DVDpacific when they get their sets in a couple of weeks time. Or even worse happen at random so I end up with a mix of tins and slipcases over the collection. Now there's a thought :-(

Took a look at WalMart.com

The one released today has an RRP of $29.99

The one for release in two weeks time is marked COLLECTORS EDITION and has an RRP of $39.99

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked mine up yesterday from Best Buy and they had a huge supply of the DVD Tins and I picked mine up for $22.99. The remastered video was awesome and I was doubly impressed. While there was some dust in the video, it wasn't all that noticeable. I did not see the standard packaging, though.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
my tin from best buy was fine, but the first best buy I went too was the only one in the LA area that hadn't gotten their box in, (or full metal alchemist) they were supposed to get them that night, so I had to go to another BB to get it.

Third episode is better than the first two. love those Madonna tits on the ro-beast. classic!

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G

Do you think it's wise for anyone who pre-ordered from Amazon to cancel his/hers order until this issue is cleared up?

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I think its pretty safe to assume you're getting the tin from Amazon. WalMart probably demanded a lower price and Media Blasters provided them the stripped down version to meet it. Of course, it did the consumer no good, because it appears they're trying to sell the boxed version for the same price as the tin, but oh well. Its Wally World. There does seem to be a fair amount of people that cancelled their Amazon orders to get it early from Best Buy, though. I would bet that there are quite a few retailers (both online and b&M) upset with Media Blasters over this. It was reported over at dvdtalk that the Transworld stores (FYE, Coconuts, etc.) have placed it on the shelf now since Best Buy broke the street date.

Does anyone know if this has ever happened before (one or two retailers getting an early street date in exchange for "promotional consideration") with a DVD release?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
would anyone have known it was available without mention in best buy or walmart circulars? I imagine paying for those spots is out of media blasters budget otherwise

but yeah I canceled my amazon preorder as soon as I got home from best buy.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G

Thats what any logical person would do, unless one wanted to double-dip!

The thing is that, there are a lot of people who dont have the "luxury" of the internet and dont know all about the tins etc etc. That way, they would have blind-bought the normal slipcase version that best-buy/walmart are selling (at the price of the tin, as previously mentioned).

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Yep; the giveaway is the recommended retail price. BestBuy only have the one set listed, and it's the RRP $39.99 one, which we can safely assume is the tin.

It's a bit shameful that WalMart are selling the cut-down slipcase edition for the same street-price that everyone else is carrying the tin for, even though the slipcase is $10 RRP cheaper.

Make of this tactic what you will, but I know what I think of it...

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, check out this ... it appears that the sales on the Voltron Collectors Tin are selling extremely strong:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks