What's new

Voices too quiet (1 Viewer)

Cribs

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hello,

I am using my PS3 as my blu-ray movie player, plugged into my Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver via an optical cable. I am having issues with my sound. All the speakers are working fine, however volumes are a bit messed up. It seems that background noises are much louder than voices. I have tried turning up the decibels on the center speaker, but then it seems as if phasing is incorrect. I cannot seem to get the settings just right and I have been playing around with it for a few weeks now.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Chris H

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Chris, what model speakers do you own? Have you calibrated your AVR with the calibration Microphone?

Cribs

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Yes, i have calibrated them. My speakers are all Goldwood speakers.

Jim Kingwood

Auditioning
I have the same issue, sound effects/music passages very loud, voices too soft. Could it be an issue with the center channel? I have a set of Athena surround sound speakers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How did you calibrate? When using my auto calibration, I attach the mic to a tripod in my favorite seat making sure the mic is ear level. Same when I calibrate manually using my Radio Shack SPL meter.

-Robert

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
May I ask why you are using an optical cable, instead of an HDMI cable? The Onkyo TX-SR606 is a new receiver that decodes the new HD audio formats found on Blu ray movies. There should be no reason for using an optical cable, unless you prefer the sound of compressed DD and DTS, over the uncompressed sound of Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD MA. I'm just curious.........

As far as center channel, I agree that it sounds like the speakers need calibrating. Once calibrated, most people still turn the volume of the center channel up a little, for this very reason.
Good luck!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Is the BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control on the PS3 set to on, off, or automatic?

You can adjust this either under BD/DVD settings, or while a movie is playing under Options (triangle) and A/V settings.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Even after getting the speakers properly calibrated, many people complain that the voices are too quiet. The problem is in the mix....movies are made with the music and effects terribly loud, and much of the dialog is muffled or whispered. It's just the modern style, I guess. As others have suggested, calibrate, then increase the level on the center channel.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
It's not really a style per se. It's just an attempt at realism. In the real world, explosions and other similar sounds are much louder than the volume of a normal speaking voice. Now, overly loud background music... that's a stylistic decision, and sometimes a very annoying one.

Chididdy123

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
hi im new but i havent experienced anything like that. i have a ps3 and an onkyo reciever, but if i would just turn the db higher on the center if i had a problem with voices

vincolo1

Auditioning
Real Name
BOB
Onkyo 506 - same issue running Athena Ws-100 / ws-60. funny tho, if I swap out the WS-60 for my Athena C.5 center channel....wala, voices come out much better. WS-60 is working fine...but for some reason the dynamic response if better on the C.5. So yes, while calibration and adjustment is good, there is something to be said for center channel speaker dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks