Voices only on centre speaker in 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave McQueen, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Dave McQueen

Dave McQueen Extra

Hi

Got my first 5.1 system the other day.
    Just some questions about the smaller speakers.

I only get my voices from the cenree speaker.
    Is that right?

Also the volume on the centre speaker is much louder than the other 4'even though they are the same models?
    Is that right?

Thanx

2. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Yes, the main dialogue is meant to come from the center speaker only.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Again, it depends. Using a test tone and measuring the speaker output with a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, the volume should be the same for all speakers. But one speaker may be perceived as louder than others at any given time, simply because there's more activity in that speaker at the moment.
    I'm going to move this to Basics. I think you'll get a better response there.
    M.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dave,
    As others have said- the majority of dialog will come from the Center. On some tracks, dialog will pan to follow the actors on screen (there are some excellent examples on Toy Story 2)- but for the majority it will be anchored to the center.
    As far as volume- the brand of speaker has little effect- the relative placement will usually be the biggest factor in volume. Because no two speaker placements or room sizes are exactly the same, your receiver has individual volume controls for each channel that allows you to adjust them independently in order to get all 6 channels even.
    Some people try to set this level by ear- but it is a hundred fold more effective to use a test disc like AVIA or VIDEO ESSENTIALS and a radio shack meter. These DVDs will provide a set of test tones which you can use in conjunction with a Sound Pressure Meter (available from radio shack) to make all 6 speakers even- providing the best playback.
    The idea of calibration is discussed in the FAQ and Primer:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...011#post512011
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...553#post650553
    -Vince

5. Dave McQueen

Dave McQueen Extra

Maybe it's because the surround ones are more playing background noises rather than the Centre one which appears to play everything?

Thanx

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor