What's new

Voices only on centre speaker in 5.1? (2 Viewers)

Hi

Got my first 5.1 system the other day.
Just some questions about the smaller speakers.

I only get my voices from the cenree speaker.
Is that right?

Also the volume on the centre speaker is much louder than the other 4'even though they are the same models?
Is that right?

Thanx

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
and nothing else said:
Again, it depends. Using a test tone and measuring the speaker output with a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, the volume should be the same for all speakers. But one speaker may be perceived as louder than others at any given time, simply because there's more activity in that speaker at the moment.
I'm going to move this to Basics. I think you'll get a better response there.
M.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
As others have said- the majority of dialog will come from the Center. On some tracks, dialog will pan to follow the actors on screen (there are some excellent examples on Toy Story 2)- but for the majority it will be anchored to the center.
As far as volume- the brand of speaker has little effect- the relative placement will usually be the biggest factor in volume. Because no two speaker placements or room sizes are exactly the same, your receiver has individual volume controls for each channel that allows you to adjust them independently in order to get all 6 channels even.
Some people try to set this level by ear- but it is a hundred fold more effective to use a test disc like AVIA or VIDEO ESSENTIALS and a radio shack meter. These DVDs will provide a set of test tones which you can use in conjunction with a Sound Pressure Meter (available from radio shack) to make all 6 speakers even- providing the best playback.
The idea of calibration is discussed in the FAQ and Primer:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...011#post512011
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...553#post650553
-Vince

Maybe it's because the surround ones are more playing background noises rather than the Centre one which appears to play everything?

Thanx

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's because the surround ones are more playing background noises....
that is correct dave. the rear speakers are used mainly for ambience or effect shots.

examples:

when it's raining, you'll hear raindrops and thunder behind you. when someone shoots a gun, you'll hear the bullet whiz behind you. when you see something fly overhead, you'll hear the engine behind you....etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks