What's new

Vmps Qso 808 (1 Viewer)

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all...

I'm thinking about getting the QSO 808 as a kit and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this speaker from VMPS? I thought I'd add a 626 or a Large Ribbon Center later on for center duty, and depending on how I liked the 808, possibly get another pair of these for rears. I'll be adding a sub later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jack

Tim_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have the VMPS RM1's but haven't tried the 808's or 626's. I can tell you that it is in the VMPS ribbon speakers that the true magic resides. I would expect the 808's to be perfectly decent speakers but the ribbons will be very different beasts. I don't think I would recommend having a ribbon center and non ribbon mains (ribbon mains and ribbon center I would recommend :) ). Also, I think I saw a post on another forum a little while back suggesting that some of the non-ribbon VMPS speakers were being discontinued. Don't want to spread falso information, but you might check to be sure they will still be available if you have not already.

Tim

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Tim, George:

Thanks for the replies.

Tim: I hadn't heard or read anything about the non-ribbons being discontinued, but it may be possible. There are only a few non-ribbons in the VMPS lineup, so it might make sense.

George: I thought about the Criterion, as well...it's also getting fabulous reviews. I'm not sold on ribbons, this is just my latest phase. I did hear, and maybe you can shed some light on this, that some ribbon speakers have a very narrow sweet spot...and this is a concern of mine.

Of course, other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks