Vizio Press Release: Vizio launches arsenal of LED backlit LCD HDTVs in 2010

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

LAS VEGAS, NV (CES) and IRVINE, CA – January 06, 2010
    -- VIZIO, America’s #1 LCD HDTV Company, announced its most comprehensive lineup of LED LCD HDTVs yet, with 37 models in the XVT Pro Series, XVT Series and M Series, spanning screen sizes from 16” to 72.” Demonstrating VIZIO’s leadership ability at any price point, their XVT Pro series with TruLED™ incorporates VIZIO’s most advanced HDTV technologies, including 480Hz SPS with Smooth Motion™ and Smart Dimming™. In addition, most of their Razor LED™ sets combine Smart Dimming for precise black levels and optimized picture quality, and all sets are designed with slim, stylish features matched with high performance.

Many sets offer VIZIO Internet Apps™ (VIA), built-in high definition wireless (802.11n dual-band) or wired networking to enable on demand movies, TV episodes, music and other online content. VIZIO is also offering audio quality through SRS audio processing. VIZIO’s LED LCD HDTV designs ensure high-energy efficiency and Energy Star 4.0 qualification for all sets.

“We believe consumers deserve an opportunity to purchase the latest technology at an incredible value and LED backlit HDTVs are no exception,” said Laynie Newsome, VIZIO Co-Founder and VP Sales and Marketing Communications. “VIZIO customers will soon be able to choose their favorite LED backlit set in sizes ranging from 72” with TruLED backlighting to as small as 16” with Razor thin designs and enjoy excellent picture quality and function.”
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    “With their new product line, most of VIZIO’s new TVs will use roughly 50% less power than their prior models,”said Noah Horowitz, Senior Scientist, Natural Resources Defense Council. “Much of this remarkable progress is made through the use of state of the art light emitting diodes (LEDs) to illuminate the TV screen. What’s particularly encouraging about their announcement is that VIZIO is making these energy saving improvements across the board. Whether it is simply a smaller 19” TV for the kitchen or a 55” big screen TV for the family room, their customers can be assured that they are buying an energy efficient one.”
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

XVT Pro Series TruLED 1080p FHD 480Hz SPS with Smooth Motion and Smart Dimming
    Defining state of the art performance, VIZIO’s 72”, 55” and 47” Full HD3D™ TVs advance refresh rates to 480Hz SPS with VIZIO’s Smooth Motion technology. The TruLED Full HD3D HDTVs incorporate the very latest in advanced HDTV technology with 480Hz SPS, TruLED brilliant LEDs pervade the entire screen, Smart Dimming circuitry controls hundreds of zones of LEDs per screen to the precise light level per picture frame, Full HD3D delivers stunning 3D images in Full HD 1080P resolution, with advanced features like VIZIO INTERNET APPS™ (VIA) built-in high definition wireless (802.11n dual-band) and wired networking, a Bluetooth universal remote control with sliding QWERTY keyboard, and Wireless HDMI which allows the TV to receive HD video and audio from sources without an HDMI cable.
    XVT Series TruLED 1080p FHD 240Hz SPS with Smooth Motion and Smart Dimming
    VIZIO XVT HDTVs offer 240Hz SPS (Scenes Per Second) refresh rates with Smooth Motion technology to enable extraordinary picture quality thanks to their TruLED backlighting technology (Direct Type LED) these sets are designed under 3”, with over 120 zones of Smart Dimming and deliver an incredible 10 million to 1 dynamic contrast ratio. Brightness is 500 nits, and each display is capable of displaying 1.06 billion colors through the use of 10-bit data input panels. Ambient light sensing technology also helps ensure colors stay true with deeper blacks even in brighter environments. VIZIO Internet Apps (VIA), with 802.11n dual-band wireless networking provides access to on demand movies, TV episodes, music and other online content -- all controlled from the included Bluetooth universal remote control.
    XVT Series Razor LED 1080p FHD Sets with 120Hz Smooth Motion and Smart Dimming
    Featuring VIZIO’s first Razor LED edge-type 37” and 32” sets with 16 zones of Smart Dimming, these Full HD 120Hz sets with Smooth Motion technology have a less than two-inch (2”) thin profile and a dynamic contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1. Brightness is 450 nits, and 1.06 billion colors can be reproduced. Both sets include VIA with built-in wireless (802.11n dual-band) and wired networking and Bluetooth universal remote control. Ambient light sensing technology also helps ensure colors stay true with deeper blacks even in brighter environments. Both sets are Energy Star 4.0 rated.
    XVT Series Razor LEDs in Small Screen Sizes
    VIZIO’s Razor LED design makes these 23” and 19” HDTVs visually striking. Ultra thin design of 1.7 inches, an edge-to-edge glass screen and chrome edging, these sets have an appearance as appealing as their picture quality. Using Edge-type LED backlights, they achieve a brightness of 300 nits, with a 20,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. An integrated USB port enables digital photo frame functionality. With ambient light sensing technology for additional energy efficiency, these eco-friendly sets are Energy Star 4.0 compliant.
    M Series TruLED 1080p FHD 120Hz Sets with Smooth Motion
    These M Series 120Hz LED sets are available in 55”, 47” and 42” sizes, using Edge-type LED backlighting that allows a two-inch (2”) profile with up to 16 zones of Smart Dimming, for dynamic contrast ratios of 1,000,000:1 in the 47” and 55” models and 100,000:1 in the 42” models, with brightness of 450 nits. Reproducing 1.06 billion colors with 10-bit data input panels, they feature VIZIO’s Ambient Light Sensor for improved contrast and deeper blacks, especially in brighter environments. The 55’ and one 47” set includes VIA with built-in wireless (802.11n dual-band) and wired networking and Bluetooth universal remote control. Each set is Energy Star 4.0 rated.
    M Series Razor LED 1080p FHD Sets in 37” and 32” Screen Sizes
    These slim design mid-size HDTVs offer either 60Hz or 120Hz refresh rates, with dynamic contrast ratios of up to 100,000:1. All models are Energy Star 4.0 qualified.
    M Series Razor LED LCD HDTVs in Small Screen Sizes
    With screen sizes starting at 16”, up to 26”, these sleek and slim Razor design HDTVs have 60Hz refresh rates with either 1080p or 720p resolution. The M261VP and the M220NV are the smallest available screen sizes with VIA and wireless (802.11n) and wired networking. Each set has earned Energy Star 4.0 certification.
    VIZIO 2010 LED Backlighting LCD HDTVs
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Model
    Size
    Res
    Refresh Rate
    Smart Dimming
    HDMI 1.3 Inputs
    VIZIO Internet Apps
    Blue
    tooth

SRS
    Audio

In Store
    MSRP
    XVTPRO720SV
    72”
    FHD
    480Hz SPS
    480 Zones
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    Aug
    $3,499.00
    XVTPRO550SV
    55”
    FHD
    480Hz SPS
    120 Zones
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    Aug
    $2,499.00
    XVTPRO470SV
    47”
    FHD
    480Hz SPS
    160 Zones
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    Aug
    $1,999.00
    XVT553SV TruLED
    55”
    FHD
    240Hz SPS
    120 Zones
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    May
    $2,199.99
    XVT473SV TruLED
    47”
    FHD
    240Hz SPS
    160 Zones
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    May
    $1,799.99
    XVT423SV TruLED
    42”
    FHD
    240Hz SPS
    128 Zones
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    May
    $1,199.99
    VF552XVT TruLED
    55”
    FHD
    240Hz SPS
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    TruSurround HD TruVolume
    Jan
    $2,199.99
    SV472XVT TruLED
    47”
    FHD
    240Hz SPS
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    TruSurround HD TruVolume
    Jan
    $1,799.99
    XVT472SV TRULED
    47”
    FHD
    240Hz SPS
    Yes
    No
    No
    TruSurround HD TruVolume
    Jan
    $1,699.99
    SV422XVT TruLED
    42”
    FHD
    240Hz SPS
    No
    Yes
    Yes
    TruSurround HD TruVolume
    Jan
    $1,199.99
    XVT373SV Razor LED
    37”
    FHD
    120Hz
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    June
    $899.99
    XVT323SV Razor LED
    32”
    FHD
    120Hz
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    June
    $699.99
    VM230XVT Razor LED
    23”
    FHD
    60Hz
    No
    No
    No
    TruSurround HD
    Nov
    $399.99
    VM190XVT Razor LED
    19”
    HD
    60Hz
    No
    No
    No
    TruSurround HD TruVolume
    Nov
    $349.99
    M550NV Razor LED
    55”
    FHD
    120Hz
    16 Zones
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    April
    $1,799.99
    M470NV Razor LED
    47”
    FHD
    120Hz
    16 Zones
    Yes
    Yes
    StudioSound HD
    April
    $1,399.99
    M470VT Razor LED
    47”
    FHD
    120Hz

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm getting a VF552XVT delivered on Tuesday- I got a slight price break and free shipping to be a 'test subject' which I applied for online last month. I get to do some surveys from the company mostly about its internet stuff, and give them general feedback on its performance (which I hope they'll be able to actually act on.) They'll probably get more feedback from me on how well it handles old analog video than anyone else they've picked for this :)

This will be replacing my 40-inch Mitsubishi CRT, which I've had since 1996. I've been wanting to upgrade the TV for a long time but was waiting for just the right thing to come out- I wasn't too impressed with the early widescreen TVs that were out- this one will even have a LARGER 4x3 picture than my old set! I still wanted to wait for the 3D displays but I just couldn't turn this down when they called (maybe they'll give me a deal on a 3D set later?) I've been going back to school and will be starting a new class in a couple weeks so I won't have a lot of time to do fun stuff, but I'll try to share what I can here- most of my homework will be online so I'm planning on hooking the laptop up to the TV to do homework on the big screen!

Funny thing is that shortly after I bought the Mitsubishi, I got the Sega Saturn game system with Netlink internet browser, and that was my primary internet device then and where I first discovered Home Theater Forum. It was a great idea but support for the device was pretty weak- as new technologies came out the Saturn couldn't handle them, and there were only 2 software upgrades put out. It could never display even basic internet video, much less the higher quality stuff that's out now. I eventually got a real computer after support for the Saturn was dropped entirely.

3. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    That 72"er will be mine...

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

On the forum right now with my laptop hooked up to the 55-incher- finally got almost everything hooked up, and it's truly a thing of beauty, especially considering what I was upgrading from. It's great to have the internet on a BIG screen!

The built-in internet apps are pretty cool- the neatest is Vudu, which normally requires a separate box. It streams high-quality movies- I haven't watched any full ones yet but there are several free trailers you can watch. My connection doesn't seem to be fast enough for their highest-quality option though, if I use that it keeps stopping to buffer then asks "Are you sure you wouldn't rather switch to a lower-quality mode?" It says the HD trailers are in 5.1 sound too, but I'm only getting 2-channel from it.

My biggest problem with LCDs was the black level, but they're just about perfect on this thing. There is a side-effect of the local dimming though- if you're displaying black for a while, then suddenly cut to a full-brightness shot, you can see a strange effect for a second where the picture comes up looking dark because the LEDs haven't kicked in yet. Don't think that will annoy me too much, but it's something that should be worked on in later models. There's a lighted "VIZIO" logo right below the screen that is orange when the power is off and a distracting white when on- I put a piece of black tape over it.

Disappointingly this TV does not have the Freeze functions that other Vizios had- I was hoping to use that with a laserdisc player that doesn't have its own digital freeze-frame, but guess I'm out of luck there. It also does not accept a PAL signal like the previous sets did, but I have a Denon AVR-790 receiver hooked up which does take PAL and displays it at the proper frame rate, unlike the many DVD players that convert to NTSC. An improvement that has been added is the TV tuner now detects and switches between 16x9 mode on the HD stations and 4x3 on the standard-def digital and remaining low-power analog stations- the older sets just displayed everything stretched or squeezed and you had to manually switch to the right setting for each channel. TV is an unwatchable mess anyways and I likely won't watch a lot, but it's nice that this set at least displays it properly. It does not however sense the aspect ratio flags on DVDs- I have an all-region DVD player which does not upconvert or squeeze 4x3 material, and would have to manually adjust that if hooked directly to the TV. The receiver saves the day once again though by including that feature- only pain is that I also have to have a standard video connection going to the TV in order to access closed-captions. I like to check those out just to see how they're done, and new equipment makes them very hard to get to since HDMI doesn't carry the captioning signal. DVD players need to start including a closed-caption decoder that displays them right on the video signal when output through HDMI- the DVD player software in my computers can do that so it can't be too hard to do.

Haven't gotten any surveys or feedback materials from the company yet, I'm hoping I'll get to share all my thoughts about this TV with them. In the meantime, anybody in the Sacramento area want to buy my old 40" Mitsubishi CRT real cheap? :) I'd like to keep it, but I just don't have any place to put it right now so it will have to go.

5. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I am now VERY seriously looking at getting a new 40-42" LCD panel to replace my old 27" Mitsubishi CRT TV. I wonder will the VIZIO M420NV or M420VT meet my needs.

6. KenDo

KenDo Auditioning

Well folks, it's finally August.

Anyone know the status of these new Vizio LEDs?

(especially the 72"!)

Ken