What's new

Vivendi and RHI Press Release: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Rob W said:
It's important to remember that the purpose of these restorations is to preserve high-quality 35mm materials on the library and allow them to be made available again for repertory showings, etc. There was no digital manipulation done of the titles to polish them up.
Does that mean they're not trying to repair scratches and that sort of thing as UCLA has done on some of its prior restorations?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
JoeDoakes said:
Does that mean they're not trying to repair scratches and that sort of thing as UCLA has done on some of its prior restorations?
I'm sure they are doing what they can but the images didn't look like the scrubbed clean digital restorations that are done for home video with equipment that can take out every piece of dirt or dust.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Rob. From your comments these are not really restorations as much they are preservations....essentially the goal is to keep these films from disappearing forever (at least in 35mm format)?

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
UCLA is restoring the films by taking the best surviving elements from multiple prints to assemble one good master preservation negative.
Their goal is a complete print with the best, sharpest picture with as near to perfect contrast and grayscale as possible.
Some processing can be done to remove scratches, but it will not be like a digital restoration. That would have to come later after the new prints are made.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Steve...O said:
Thanks, Rob.  From your comments these are not really restorations as much they are preservations....essentially the goal is to keep these films from disappearing forever (at least in 35mm format)?
Depends on your definition of restoration. Since they are making every effort to restore the definitive editions of these films ( many of which were re-issued with new titles and music ) I think restoration is an accurate word, even with a speck or two here and there. I believe Robert Harris defined restoration as gathering together the best available elements and missing footage to create a new negative for a film that does not have suitable or complete printing materials.
But let's just celebrate the fact that at long last the films are being rescued!

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The best presentation of Hats Off I saw was on YouTube. I'm not sure if this is the same presentation that is on the European DVD.
The Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum has also produced a slideshow of the known existing stills on DVD-R, including photos of the various poster displays on company trucks and theaters. But it does not have the descriptive title cards that the one on YouTube has to tell the whole story.

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I just got this e-mail from Legend Entertainment, they are award of the FLYING DEUCES missing footage and plan to re-issue the DVDs;
Hi Paul,
Please inform the Sons of the Desert that we intend to fix the error. This one got away from us. We apologize.
Best,
Barry
Barry B. Sandrew, Ph.D
Founder & CCO/CTO
3721 Valley Centre Drive
San Diego, CA 92130
Tel: 760-497-1922
URL: http://www.legend3D.com
Blog: http://bsandrew.blogspot.com

tony bensley said:
I feel that it is vital that ALL existing Laurel & Hardy titles be preserved in 35mm film format for present and future generations to enjoy!
CHEERS!
While I endorse and encourage the work, the truth is the films are being restored to a format just in time for it's death...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
bob gassel said:
While I endorse and encourage the work, the truth is the films are being restored to a format just in time for it's death...
For theatrical exhibition, yes, but studios are still making 35mm preservation materials on all of their films, both old and new ( including those shot digitally) as it is still the format of choice for long-term preservation.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Rob W said:
For theatrical exhibition, yes, but studios are still making 35mm preservation materials on all of their films, both old and new ( including those shot digitally) as it is still the format of choice for long-term preservation.
It's good that studios seem to realize the dangers of preserving titles only on digital format. The thought of entire catalogues existing only on hard drives, given their volatility and somewhat limited lifespan, is not a great prospect!
While the use of Film Projectors for theatrical exibition is no doubt, much less common then it used to be, I don't believe it will ever truly die out! There are simply too many of our young generation that do take an interest in old media formats (IE. Vinyl; Film Photography!) in general for that to occur!
CHEERS!

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
UCLA sent out a teaser saying that during the 35mm film restoration project they found some unmarked Hal Roach film cans that contain some rare Laurel & Hardy footage.
UCLA has not given out specific information, but they did say that the cans DO NOT CONTAIN "HATS OFF". Well, I am excited to learn more about what was found and will remain hopeful that Hats Off will turn up someday.

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The teaser notice was e-mailed to me as I do the Sons Of The Desert shows at the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum. It only said further information was to follow.
Here is a link you may enjoy on YouTube:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sadly, 2013 begins with the continuation of the following sorry state of affairs with The Essential Collection that began early last month at Amazon.com:
Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
As previous problems that were reported with the packaging were dealt with almost exactly a full year earlier (In December, 2011!), I'd seriously like to know what prompted this!
Anyway, to whoever might read this--Happy New Year 2013!
CHEERS!

Jim Reid

Auditioning
I got to spend time with some of the UCLA guys at the past two Cinecons and they told me many stories about dealing with the Hal Roach library. Very few were what you would consider good news.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jim Reid said:
I got to spend time with some of the UCLA guys at the past two Cinecons and they told me many stories about dealing with the Hal Roach library. Very few were what you would consider good news.
Anything you can share?

Jim Reid

Auditioning
Maily just how bad all the stuff is although they did actually find some stuff in mislabelled cans. I think they now have the complete camera negs to (I think) Sons of the Desert. They found some of it in cans labelled for Hal Roach tv series episodes. Then of course the almost criminal abuse by a certain home video producer that cause the destruction of the camera negs for the best of the silent shorts. Make's you want to cry.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Jim Reid
Maily just how bad all the stuff is although they did actually find some stuff in mislabelled cans. I think they now have the complete camera negs to (I think) Sons of the Desert. They found some of it in cans labelled for Hal Roach tv series episodes. Then of course the almost criminal abuse by a certain home video producer that cause the destruction of the camera negs for the best of the silent shorts. Make's you want to cry.
Thanks, Jim. The stories about the person in question are horrifying. One story is that he kept original camera negatives in his California garage. He never should have been allowed anywhere near the materials if he (a) didn't have the resources to properly care for them and (b) didn't allow others to assist. Roach produced some of the finest comic entertainment in the earliest days of cinema and how the material has been handled is morally criminal.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jim Reid said:
Wow! If that's correct, that's major news. Sons of the Desert is their best film and one of the funniest films ever made. If they have the original camera negative and it's in decent condition, we might see a high quality blu ray someday. Personally, I think that they should see what they can do with that with the eye to licensing it to Criterion. That might pay for a good bit of the restoration on the other films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks