What's new

Vista: 32 Bit or 64 Bit? (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
What are the advantages of the 64 bit over the 32 bit? Also i assume the 64 bit is backwards compatible with 32 bit software?

Thanks,
Dalton

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
My advice is to stick with 32bit for now; it's a lot easier dealing with drivers in 32bit vista right now.

Even in SP1 vista64 requires that all drivers be digitally signed which means that you won't find drivers for older hardware or for hardware from smaller vendors that didn't go through the process of getting it signed which basically boils down to you being SOL.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think what you want to know is that 64 bit won't do you any good UNLESS you have 64-bit software.

Glenn

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Vista 64 bit runs Windows XP & 32 bit applications using a function called "Windows on Windows" (WoW) which can cause a performance hit of up to 30%.

The advantage of 64 bit is this:

* Access to more then 3GB of RAM without PAE and in multiple configurations.
* Access to multi-teratybe of single point services
* Applications that are 64bit of course, benefit.

But yes, there are compatibility issues. Let me give you one that often gets mentioned: Adobe Flash Player (you know, Flash? In websites?) will not install in 64bit Internet Explorer. So, you have to run 32bit Internet explorer to run flash ;)

For right now, unless you have a tangible reason, go with 32bit... it's sad.. MS could have changed this is they would have pushed more.. but they didn't, they bailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks