What's new

Visiting Los Angeles (Things to do on the cheap) (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Pick up a guide book and study it before you go, there a dozens of them but I like The Rough Guide to Los Angeles, Top 10 Los Angeles and The Ultimate Hollywood Tour Book.
Visit the Bradbury Building at 304. S. Broadway. From outside you won’t understand why, once inside you will and it’s been in numerous films including Blade Runner.
While in Hollywood walk into the Chateau Marmont, sit down and order a drink.
Visit Amoeba Records.
In Pasadena visit the Norton Simon Museum and the Gamble House, a jewel of the Craftsman style.
There is a reason so many have mentioned The Getty Center.
Cemeteries are a hobby of mine, but lots of people enjoy seeing the stars resting places.
Westwood Village Memorial Park at 1218 Glendon is tiny and has, among others, Marilyn and Natalie. By the way, you really need to be looking to find this; you could drive down that block and never know there was a cemetery entrance. You should probably avoid Forest Lawns many locations, too vast and they don’t really want you there.

I’m a bit of a map freak anyway but I found having the $18.95 street atlas of Los Angeles County to be real handy for getting around. It’s good for spotting thoroughfares that will keep you off the freeway and give you a better feel for the neighborhoods.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You might want to check out the La Brea Tar Pits. Its been years since I was there, but they were pretty cool.

I remember catching a couple tapings of sitcoms and game shows too while I was there. That was fun.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Leno's show is in Burbank and that's pretty popular. Do some homework to find out how big the star/musical guest is and that will determine how soon you have to get in line.

And yes, the Thomas Guide (to Los Angeles and Orange Counties, or Los Angeles and Ventura if you're going to Santa Barbara) is your friend. Usually around $20 at So-Cal Costcos, a little more at regular stores (like $30).

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I was trying to find some images of Pink's yesterday for my first post. Here is one of the outside and a here's one of those pictures inside that I mentioned. A few guys inordinately happy about adding onions to a dog.

This would have been funnier if I found those images yesterday

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, were you referring anything in those pictures OTHER than the hot girl! :D

I clicked the link and was like, "damn, she's hot.......what the hell was Ken linking to again?!?!?"

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Pink’s certainly meets the thread’s criteria of ‘cheap’. Especially if you wish to spend a whole afternoon waiting in line for (what is to me) a good, but not great, hot dog.

OTOH, the girl outside is decidedly not cheap.

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
Let's not forget the Bonaventure Hotel. They filmed portions of True Lies inside and part of Heat just outside. The hotel has a great revolving bar on the upper floors where you can grab a drink/appetizer and get a great view of LA day or night. And then there's always Olivera Street for some early California history.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
With all the LA traffic in mind, you'd be smart to consolidate your trips. For instance if you go to the Getty in the afternoon, go a couple miles East to Westwood in the evening. Great theaters (The Village) where lots of red-carpet premieres are held, and tons of sidewalk cafes and the like for dinner.

Another thought would be to go and park at Union Station downtown. Go across the street to Olvera Street which is a touristy mexican cultural attraction with authentic food and shops. Then go downstairs in Union Station and buy a 1-day pass for the Redline subway. It's actually a very nice subway. If you have time to kill, get off at many of the stations and look around, they each have a different theme and some are pretty educational about LA history. One of the stations in Hollywood (Hollywood/Highland or Hollywood/Vine I think) is decorated in classic Hollywood style with a ceiling made of old movie reels. Then leave that station and you are at the new Hollywood Highland complex where the Academy Awards are held. I think the El Capitan theater is also right there too. Should be cheap transportation, you avoid the traffic, and can see some cool parts of LA at your own pace.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Well, here's the other thread Brian.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have recommendations on best studio tours to do? Glad I read all the info on traffic. The thought of traffic congestion just didn't cross my mind for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks