Virus' on Xbox? Could be a serious possibility.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyVX, Nov 17, 2001.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I was thinking last night about when it comes time to take my Xbox online, and how at risk I would be at getting a virus. On the DC, PS2, and soon Gamecube there is no hard storage, so once you power down any virus that may have been able to get into ram would be wiped out. But on the Xbox, a virus could be stored onto the hard drive.
    I'm sure that all these kiddy hackers out there will desperatly be trying to screw up people's Xbox's. So I'm wondering what kind of virus protection there will be for the Xbox? Anyone know?
    I would just so much hate to get a virus(loose all my saves) and have to send my system off to Microsoft for them to clean it.
    Well, if anyone has any info regarding this, please let me know. Also, if this had been posted earlier I'm very sorry...I forgot to do a search.
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807

2. Tom_J

Tom_J Agent

I would think the OS is in ROM. This prevents any altering of the OS files(Unless ROM is flashed). The only things on the hd would be saved games or music right? In order for a virus to do it's thing, it has to execute right? If you don't run the virus, I wouldn't think the files are in danger, even if it's saved on the hd. And if the OS is only loading from ROM, I wouldn't think it would execute a virus on the hd.
    Plus, is there a browser built in the XBox? I don't own one yet, so I don't know. If you can't get to the net to dl stuff, you shouldn't be at risk of getting a virus.
    The game loads/runs straight from the CD/DVD(no installation files), the OS is ROM, so I don't see any system critical files being in jeapordy. All vital files sound like they're read-only. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    [Edited last by Tom_J on November 17, 2001 at 11:57 AM]
    [Edited last by Tom_J on November 17, 2001 at 12:03 PM]

3. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

http://www.xbox365.com/stories/xdkcomplete.shtml

4. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

It would be more of a problem on the PS/2 then on an Xbox.
    The PS/2 will be able to go online, web browse, read email..etc. Even AOL..
    Ironically, Microsoft's Xbox will NOT be able to do these things. You will most likely only be able to access online play through the actual game that you are playing, and on the other side of the net, MS will be running the servers..
    So, to attack the Xbox, looks like you're going to have to hack MS secured servers dedicated to Xbox's online gaming.. (when they launch in Spring)
    Goodluck..

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Thanks all for the reassurance! I didn't realize that the OS was on ROM.
    I guess we're safe then. I'm glad MS took the steps to make the Xbox as safe from virus' as possible.
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807