What's new

Vintage amp vs. New Amp (1 Viewer)

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
I've got an Tandberg 3026A (150wpc)that I use to drive my main speakers (B&W602S2). I use a Rotel 6 channel amp strapped down to three for my center channel and rears. I am contemplating purchasing a 5 channel amp in the future, but was wondering what differences I would notice while listening to stereo sources with this potential upgrade.

Would a newer amp be better or worse. The Tandberg's were high quality products of their time and amp technology doesn't change like what's happening in the preamp world.

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
C'mon guys, I'm really interested in hearing your opinions not to mention preventing a mistake on my part.

Thx

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ashford,
Not sure what you’re looking for here. Some people say they hear differences from one amp or another, others say they all pretty much sound the same. Which camp are you in?
On the other hand, I expect it’s reasonable for an expensive amp to sound better than a cheap one.
If you’re happy with the performance of your current set up, why change? Tandberg is/was renowned for making excellent equipment, as you know. I suppose it’s possible there has been some breakdown of your amp’s components over time, especially if it has been in constant use. But if you don’t hear an audible problems, I wouldn’t worry about the amp’s current performance.
But if you feel you really need to upgrade, here’s what I’d do to “hedge my bets” and minimize risk:
  • Try running your Rotel unbridged and hook all your speakers to it. This should give you some idea of what a modern amp is capable of. Don’t worry whether or not it is “powerful” enough in 6-channel mode – you’re concerned about sound quality. You can worry about power if and when you make a purchase.
  • If you buy a new amp, make sure you have return for refund privileges, in case you’re not happy with it.
  • Or, buy a used amplifier. If you don’t like it you can sell it and recoup probably 90-95% of your investment.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne for your reply and I'm sorry if my question was a bit vague. I guess I'm wondering if a new 5 channel amp (say the Outlaw 755) or a B&K unit would sound equal, better or worse in 2 channel mode vs. my Tandberg. Now I realize that most people haven't listened to this amp, but let's just say that it is a high quality amp that is 15 years old. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks