What's new

Vinc Bravo D1 1080i scalable dvd player...? (1 Viewer)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I have just learned about the Vinc Bravo D1 hd upgradable dvd player that will output 1080i with component cables. I'm wondering if this player is really worth anything because the pricetag is nice ($200). also would I see a big difference between this player and my pioneer dv-563a watching it on a 30" widescreen samsung direct view hdtv? I'm just wondering if it would be worth it so spend on a 1080i dvd player and use that for my movies, and just use my pioneer for dvd-a and sacd. you can see this player at: http://www.vinc.com/product.asp?id=31&PID=21

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Check out the avsforums at avsforum.com they got lotsa stuff on the D1 over there...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Ya, check AVS, but the opinion over there may sour you on the D1.

The PQ is amazing, especially on fixed-pixel displays. You'll still notice a PQ bump on your direct-view set, but fixed-pixel displays are where these up-scaling players shine because the image is only scaled once to the native resolution (not once at the player then again at the display). It also keeps the signal completely in the digital domain until your set finally converts it to analog for display (w/ non-DVI/HDMI players there can be multiple D-A and A-D conversions, all causing some loss of quality). On a fixed-pixel digital display there would be no D-A conversions (which is a very good thing).

The downside of the D1 is it can be fairly quirky. My biggest complaint is some of the remote codes overlap with the ones used by pioneer, so if you have a pioneer receiver then changing the volume or other settings on your receiver can cause unexpected changes in playback (FF, RW, skip chapters, open the tray, etc). Multiple others have had problems with the loaders not properly loading discs, requiring multiple hard-power-offs before a disc would read, sometimes not reading at all. Some have also had random lock-up problems, or lock-ups at layer-changes. I have had no lock-up problems, and very rairly have a loader problem.

Bravo is releasing the D2, supposedly shipping in April, which is supposed to fix all these problems and also add more flexible custom-resolutions. The big question for many D1 users (but probably not an issue for you) is whether or not the D2 will remain HDCP free. It and the Momitsu V880 are the only current non-HDCP DVI players. Many people (like myself) with "older" non-HDCP but still DVI enabled displays such as older TVs and especially projectors are not able to use the HDCP DVI players and require a non-HDCP player to utilize the DVI functionality. If the D2 is still HDCP-free like the D1 i may upgrade... if it's HDCP free and available in black i will definitely upgrade.

Hope this helps :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Stephen: Does the D1 upconvert through the COMPONENT outputs with a hack? There are too many threads to wade through :)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've read that there's a hack available to enable scaling over the component outputs. There were some other Sigma based players that scaled over component but they are fairly hard to come by new, although you can usually find a couple in the hardware-for-sale section.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Kevin.

I second that. I own the LG7832 for my second set, and it's playing all the DVD's I did try (over 20) w/o freezing or a hiccup. The DVI picture is really good.

The deinterlacer in the D1 was cr*p. The new LG use the FLI2310 from Faroudja.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ray McCalla

Auditioning
Hmm, I was thinking about picking up a D1 to use with my new Sanyo Z2 projector. Knowing practically nothing about DVI, I notice that the D1 seems to be equipped with a "DVI-D" connection (based on the specs of the cable sold by V as an accessory). The Z2 input is "DVI-I." Are these things compatible?

Ray McCalla

Auditioning
Hmm, never mind. I did some reading and figured out that DVI-D is a subset of DVI-I, lacking the analog lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks