VILLA RIDES!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Movies Unlimited is listing 6/3 as a release date for VILLA RIDES! (Mitchum, Brynner, script by Peckinpah and Robert Towne). I don't see anything similar--and it's listed under "Historical and War"-- but could this be a harbinger of a WB Western Collection?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think Charles Bronson is also in that film.

3. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

It was a Paramount film..so......given Paramount's appalling track record and disdain for releasing classic catalog titles....it won't be from them. My guess its now a public domain title.

4. KamyarB

KamyarB Agent

Man I hope so... i have been waiting to see this film again for many years! I can't wait if this is true!

Kamyar

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Really... from Paramount?!?
    No offense but I'll believe it when I see it!

6. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

probably Jef/Substance/teleista, since Paramount did nothing to stop their bootleg WHITE DOG release! (and that has a valid copyright!)

7. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Stunt Coordinator

I'm now 65, and my memory may be faulting on the below, but this is what I recall; any corrections will be gladly appreciated.

In the early 80s, Paramount leased 3 western/action titles to Kartes Communication:

Pony Express

Buccaneers

Villa Rides!

After the expiration of the agreement, the studio released the first 2 on VHS, but Villa Rides! was neglected, much to my disappointment, as there's an annoying flash in several scene changes. I'm certainly a buyer of the above, should they be released on DVD.

In addition, The Last Outpost(Cavalry Charge) was farmed out by Paramount to Ivy Video, who released a terrible VHS, followed some years later by a worse DVD.

Bob Engleman

8. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

What were the other films in the Kartes/Paramount deal? I seem to remember OFF LIMITS and DEAR WIFE.

9. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Stunt Coordinator

Charles,

The only Kartes titles I own are the aforementioned 3, and Universal's "Against All Flags"; I'm not familiar with those you've stated.

Bob Engleman

10. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    I watched that DVD this week. It's not a good DVD unfortunately but it is at least watchable.
    I enjoyed Villa Rides more than I expected and more than I did when it first came out. According to various posters on IMDB, Yul Brynner got Sam Peckinpah fired and had the screenplay re-written to suit his own personality. Does anyone here know the truth or otherwise in that story?