What's new

Viewing STAR WARS digitally and Ticket Information (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Yes! One of only three digital screens in Canada is a mere 90 minutes away in Waterloo. Thank you Galaxy Cinemas! Hopefully I can get some tickets for the midnight screening.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Unless it has been noted earlier, here is a list of theaters that will be showing Episode 2 digitally:
Despite George Lucas's best efforts to push digital projection, only 19 theaters will be showing his Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones using digital projectors when it opens on May 16, Wired magazine reported on its website Monday.
The 19 are: Harkins Arrowhead Cinemas 18 (Peoria, AZ); AMC Media Center 6 (Burbank, CA); Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 Megaplex (Irvine, CA); El Capitan Theatre (Los Angeles, CA); Loews Century Plaza (Los Angeles, CA); AMC Mission Valley 20 (San Diego, CA); AMC 1000 Van Ness (San Francisco, CA); AMC Pleasure Island 24 (Lake Buena Vista, FL); AMC South Barrington 30 (South Barrington, IL); AMC Studio 30 (Olathe, KS); General Cinema Framingham 16 (Framingham, MA); Show Case Cinemas Randolph (Randolph, MA); Edgewater Multiplex Cinemas (Edgewater, NJ); AMC Empire 25 Theatres (New York); Clearview Ziegfeld Theatre (New York); Loews Cineplex E-Walk (New York); Cinemark at Valley View (Valley View, OH); Showcase Cinemas Springdale (Springdale, OH); Cinemark at Legacy (Plano, TX).
Source: IMDB
I will do my best effort to see this at a digitally equipped theater on opening weekend more so for the technology but I'm also hoping that the accompanying film will also be good. :)
~Edwin

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
IMO, they absolutely blew away all the "film" presentations of Phantom Menace. I couldn't believe how crystal clear the presentaion was, not to mention how much better it sounded, compared to seeing it "normally" in a THX theater. I do remember some complaints about the digital showings, but I don't remember what those complaints were. FWIW, the Paramus presentation was better than the Secaucus one, whih was DLP I believe.
I agree that the Paramus presentation was better. But I was bothered by the slight "artificiality" (for lack of a better word) of the presentation (the trailers looked "off", too). At both spots, it looked like an under-lit film presentation, with no deep blacks and slightly blown-out highlights. The lack of print damage and gate weave was admirable, but something looked "wrong" to me. Could it be I'm just so used to film's artifacts (especially since they are organic in nature, as opposed to video artifacts), that anything that eliminates them looks fake to me? Could be. I will certainly see AotC in a digital showing, but I want to see a film showing first. It'll give me a better frame of reference.

I saw Moulin Rouge at the Ziegfeld (film presentation) last summer and was seriously *underwhelmed* by their presentaton. I hope they've fixed it up a little.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
TICKETS: Will go on sale for the Chicagoland AMC South Barrington 30 on Friday May 3rd at 10:30am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Theater 17 is the one with the DLP
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I have heard that Star Wars Episode II will be released on a new film stock. It is subject to less bleed during processing and has less grain. I suspect that the picture quality will be one of the best you will ever see on 35mm film. It is still subject to scratching and dust contamination however.

At Showest this year Lucasfilm was really pushing hard for DLP digital projection. George Lucas was not happy with the amount of theaters upgrading to digital projection so he asked the people at the film lab to develop a higher grade of film stock.

It would not bother me at the least to see Star Wars Episode II in 35mm.

I am pretty sure the advanced screening I will be seeing will be in 35mm.

At Showest I got to see a demo reel of Star Wars presented in DLP. I was very impressed with the technology but it was not perfect. During some intense scenes I could see some minor pixelation. Also the picture had a plastic look to it. They still have some bugs to work out but DLP is definitely the future.

Chris

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I have the luxury of seeing both formats and comparing them, which is certainly what I'm going to do. To keep all the other variables the same, I'll stay at the same theater. The first AOTC viewing will be digital, the second film. I'll pick a winner and subsequently see all future presentations in that format.
I keep telling myself that I'll calm down once I have the tickets in my hand Friday. Who am I kidding? Then I'll be even more hyped but the wait will hopefully be more bearable.
Now I have to plan when I camp out so I get a magnificent seat for the premiere :D

I just heard that the Cinerama in Seattle is currently installing a digital projection system that might be ready for May 16th.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Pete
:laugh: Edwin and I saw Moulin Rouge at the Ziegfeld and were blown away by the perfect presentation.
I saw it three more times, even in a THX theater and they paled in comparison to the Ziegfeld presentation.
Talk about different strokes.:D:)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I went on the first Monday (or Tuesday) after it opened; 7-whatever show. Sound was loud & boomy, picture was mis-framed (splice lines visible on the top), edges were fuzzy (focus needed a touch-up), dialogue hard to make out (I think that's the fault of the mix), right bass speaker blown, surrounds unbalanced. That's just the on-screen problems! I'm not even going to bring up the lousy way the Ziegfeld handles audiences (obnoxious slides & intermission music, commercials, no curtain, terrible box office control, no concession control, etc. etc.)
I haven't seen a "perfect" presentation at the Ziegfeld since the Vertigo restoration played there, opening night. Good ones, no doubt, but nothing like its glory days.
Maybe you and Edwin got the lucky coin when you went. :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
How long will the DLP showings be around??

i.e. Can I wait until I fly to my old home in August for a brief vaction to visit the Framingham and Randolph, MA theaters??

Or is my only chance a couple hour trip to the Chicago suburb theater in the next 2 months??

MatS

Screenwriter
re: Barrington IL from theforce.net
http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.html#16001
And some not so good news from Illinois. Darth Spaztick chimes in:
I just got off the phone with a representative from the AMC in Barrington, Illinois which, as far as I know, is the only DLP location in the state. She said that tickets would go on sale at 10:30AM this Friday and when I inquired about how many DLP theatres they had she said "The only one we had was moved to Canada." ????? Let's hope she was joking.
We've had a few other reports of this as well.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I hope it's not true about AMC Barrington :frowning: Do you think that they are telling people that because they are afraid of to many people coming Friday? I plan on driving to get tickets anyway. RIght before I purchase tickets, I'm going to ask if they have SW 2 playing on DLP, if not, screw it. I'll go to a theater close to me just to watch it on film. :frowning:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Why in the world would they worry about too many people? More people means more money. And all the talk I've heard of failing theaters, I'd think they'd relish the thought of a horde of people.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Sound was loud & boomy, picture was mis-framed (splice lines visible on the top), edges were fuzzy (focus needed a touch-up), dialogue hard to make out (I think that's the fault of the mix), right bass speaker blown, surrounds unbalanced. That's just the on-screen problems! I'm not even going to bring up the lousy way the Ziegfeld handles audiences (obnoxious slides & intermission music, commercials, no curtain, terrible box office control, no concession control, etc. etc.)
Hmmm, this doesn't sound like the Ziegfeld to me. Are you sure this is where you saw MR? Because I had the complete opposite experience. Everything was working fine when I was there (yes, including the curtain). :)
~Edwin

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE: It is true. I just confirmed that the AMC South Barrington 30 NO LONGER has a digital projector. But do not fret, I'm on the scent and the skinny is another theater is installing digital especially for SW. Details to follow very soon (I'm on the phone right now).

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Edwin,

Yes, I'm sure. I went before it had opened in New Jersey and the Ziegfeld was the only theater showing it that first week. That's why I was so surprised at their presentation. How soon into its run did you and Tino go? Either they had some serious quality control problems or I got the *bad* projectionist that night. I was very surprised at the advertising slides being shown on the open screen (as well as the hip-hop intermission music), but I haven't seen that curtain used for some time (since Clearview took over, probably).

I heard from friends that the TPM presentation was fine, though.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, here's the deal. For you Chicagoans, I've confirmed that the Loews Streets of Woodfield has installed a new DLP for AOTC. Theater 15. As of right now, they do not have showtimes or know when tickets will go on sale. Probably next week was the answer I got. But I was advised to call back between 5-6pm today.
Later this afternoon, the AMC South Barrington will announce showtimes. I'll keep everyone aprised of that.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Considering that Episode II was shot at a lowly 1440x800 resolution, it's pretty damned silly for Lucas to bitch about 35mm film print stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks