Vienna and Martin Logan opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim L, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two brands- I know are both rather high end and can be abit pricey, I was looking at both and was wondering if anyone has them in their own set up and how do they like them, thanks
    Tim

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I've got martin logan's. I've always liked their sound - beautiful, airy, buttery smooth midrange. Generally when you get into very fast/detailed speakers your room and upstream components become the real limiting factor.

3. Bill Law

Bill Law Stunt Coordinator

I love the Vienna's. They are much warmer, laid-back and have a better/larger soundstage than the ML's.
    Both are excellent spkrs though.
    Listen to the Vienna's!

4. Joe Becker

Joe Becker Auditioning

Your mileage may vary, but....

I had the Martin Logan Aerius ii in my HT for a few weeks. My room is 15 x 15 with an 8.5 foot ceiling. The ML's were on the wall opposite a large picture window (with a roll down black out shade). The ML's threw such a precise image that it was astounding. My wife once remarked that as she walked out of the room she was walking "around the piano" in a Oscar Peterson trio disc. Now, the down side. We had a Yamaha 100 watt amp, but had to upgrade to a Yamaha 2095 to have enough umph behind the hundred watts to successfully drive the ML's. And, the really bad side is that the highs were so piercing in the relatively small room that we could only listen for 30 -60 minutes before the pain would get so bad we'd have to quit. We loved the speakers, but couldn't live with them. Fortunately, we had a long-time relationship with the B&M dealer and he took them back for a full refund. We replaced them with Vandersteen 2ce signature and lived happily ever after. My father in law is shopping the Vienna's. He's bought the center channel thus far....very nice. As with all speakers audition extensively yourself........regards

5. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Are you only looking at those two lines of speakers Tim?

I've heard ML many times as well as VA. And, like any line of speakers. Some love them some don't. I'm in the don't area myself. But, that's just my taste. I also don't like mushrooms. [​IMG]

Look at many many brands before deciding. Speakers are the end of the line in a system. And if you find the right speaker. They will be something you enjoy living with for many years.

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

7. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

well other than these brands I was also impressed by the Klipsch reference series RF7 line- although they don't cost as much they presented a huge soundstage. There a few more I would like to audition ) mirage and monitor maybe. Thanks for the responses, the thing is I just don't hear alot about such brands like the Vienna's although there is a nice review in the new SGHT magazine. They search continues I guess