What's new

Vidocq, the digital headache! (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Today is the release date of Vidocq and it was my first time going to a theater after God knows for how many years! I wish I didn’t! As you may know this movie has used the same digital cameras that were used in “Attack of the Killer Clowns!” (Ooooopppsss!)
Well the movie looked unlike anything we have seen before and this does not necessarily mean good! It looked a little too CG! It didn’t look very realistic. But that’s not the problem with this movie. I don’t know what was wrong with the shots, they all looked like they have been shot on a very wide-angle lens. Something like a spherical lens. The equivalent example that I can give you is in one shot of the Lord of the Rings second trailer. Where Gandalf says “is it safe?”
http://img-www.theonering.net/movie/...iler02_09a.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/movie/...iler02_11a.jpg
This kind of shots look really cheesy! And that was even my only complaint about the LOTR trailer. Now with Vidocq, imagine 1h40 mins of these shots! From start to finish! Very irritating! It looked like a long commercial or music video! I’m sure and hope that this has nothing to do with the cameras but the lenses! I’m glad that Lucas never uses this kind of shots!
[Edited last by Sam Davatchi on September 19, 2001 at 10:53 AM]
[Edited last by Sam Davatchi on September 19, 2001 at 11:51 AM]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
quote: As you may know this is the first movie that has used the digital cameras that were used in “Attack of the Killer Clowns!”[/quote]In France, maybe. In the U.S., we've already had Session 9, which looked very nice indeed, and Jackpot got a very small release in July (6 theaters, did poor business).
[Edited last by Jason Seaver on September 19, 2001 at 11:20 AM]

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Besides the look, how was the rest of the film?
I saw a trailer online ( Link Removed ) and the look of the film intrigued me enough to want to see it. I tend to like unique looking films.
Of course it being a French film, I'll probably be lucky if I get to see it in the next 6 months.
------------------
"You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you." - Silent Bob
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai
Optimus Prime Films
[Edited last by Ross Williams on September 19, 2001 at 01:25 PM]

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Setting aside “the composition of the shots” for a moment (which you can’t when you are watching the movie!) it’s not a bad movie. It’s not a great movie because as you may know this is the director’s first movie! He is maybe one of the best visual effects men in France but that doesn’t make him a director. It’s more a case like Mark Dippé, but I can tell you that Vidocq is a lot better than Spawn! Anyway back to Vidocq, I didn’t find it intriguing enough. There was no character development. I was never transported into the movie.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I saw this trailer last week in theaters, and I must admit that I was intrigued. The film looks like trash, but still, the visual style makes the film look appealing. I'm planning on seeing it, but I have very low expectations.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 10 OF 2001

Rollo Lee

Agent
I noticed that "wide angle" look in the trailer. So you're saying it looks like that through the whole movie? Man, that does not sound good. That lightning bolt scene still makes me want to see the film though!
[Edited last by Rollo Lee on September 27, 2001 at 02:00 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks