What's new

Video quality of Xbox with component cables (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
I am debating whether or not to spend the money for component cables for my Xbox. I am projecting a 85" image from my Infocus X1 and would like to get a good picture but will there be a noticeable difference on HD games? I dont know if the majority of games will become HD or not but for now I dont own any so i dont want to spend the money if the picture isnt going to be much better. BTW, I am using a S video cable now.

advise is appreciated.

thanks

andy

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Someone may come along and correct me on this, but I think S-Video is limited to around 550 lines of resolution so you could never experience full hi-def using an s-video cable. For most people it's probably not a big deal, but I think with an 85" screen you would see a pretty big difference. See if any of your friends have some component cables you could borrow to see if the difference is worth the cost.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many lines of resolution are on XBox games, so it may or may not make a difference.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
It will make a difference. For one, all X-Box games are at least 480P, so just having a native progressive scan signal into your X1 will make a difference. You can't achive this with S-Video. On games that are actually high def, it is a given that there will be a differnce, and again you can't do that with S-Video either.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
does the brand of cables matter? I guess you could call me cheap, but i was wondering if i had to spring for the monster cables to get the good video quality.

i have also seen the xbox HD AV pack where you can use your own component cables. any advise?

also, im assuming the x1 is capable of displaying a HD signal? Using the xbox HD AV pack wont do me much good if the x1 cannot display it correct?

thanks

andy

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
I use the hi-def. AV pack from microsoft with a set of philips gold plated component cables..there is no visible difference from monster to the AV pack with quality cables..there is a striking difference running the xbox in progressive scan..well worth the money..

also not all xbox games are 480p..there are a few that do not support progressive scan..kung fu chaos, hitman 2 and the thing are a few examples of games that only support 480i..check out www.hdtvarcade.com for a list of games and resolutions available..

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
are you using a X1 as well for you video source? it sounds like the HD AV pack is well worth the money for a better picture but i just want to make sure my X1 can reproduce that great image.

also, i havnt been able to find a good picture of the HD AV pack but from what i have seen you just plug it into the xbox then run your component cables from the AV pack to my reciever (in my case) then run another set of component cables from the reciever to the X1. I have heard it has a optical out so thats a simple connect between the pack and the reciever, but are the video connections correct?

thanks again, you guys have been a great help!

andy

jon_ad

Stunt Coordinator
yes that is correct

you also have to enable the progressive video and dolby sound outputs in the setup on your xbox

it is well worth the money for this upgrade

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
thanks all i just purchased a preplayed "used" HD AV pack from EB games.

thanks again!

andy

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator
Can I play in HD on my monitor? Right now I have the XBOX going through a RF modulator and into my coax input on my tv card in my PC.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Just a heads-up, not all games are 480p. Hitman 2, for example, is not and I found this out the hard way. Almost all titles are but beware for the few floating around that are not.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

I do a lot of advising people away from over-priced retail cables like Monster in the Tweeks and Connections fourm.

But everything I know about cables/coax/connectors tells me that the Monster HD cable for the XBox is the only thing that comes close to being acceptiable.

The Microsoft HD pack is only $20, and then you have to add your own component cables to the end of the 'breakout' box.

The wires involved look like un-shielded, mini-cables and the plastic breakout box with cheap RCA jacks is hardly good for the 13Mhz progressive signals.

The Monster cable is a single, long cable that gives you a un-broken connection from the XBox to the display. It runs about $60 (or the price of 1.5 new games). But it appears to follow all the rules for a well-built cable designed not for the standard video signals of 4 Mhz, but the 13 Mhz signals found in a progressive video signal.

I hate shilling for Monster or paying for expensive/exotic wires - but the Monster cables for the XBox are the only ones I have found that seem acceptable.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

I second that. An unshielded box with breakout ports in which you supply your own quality cables for decent picture seems to fall way short in my book. Of course, people will also complain that once you do that, you have to buy the monster optical for their HT in order to get the little dongle that attaches to the Monster Components.;)

Brandon Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Component Cables make a HUGE difference on the xbox especially if you have an HDTV. If you are using it on a RPTV I dont really like the way the games look anyway, but on the direct view sets that can display HD signals, Xbox games have to been seen to be believed. My personal favorite is Soul Calibur 2, that is a 720p game.

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
quick question guys...

i recently got an xbox for my b-day, and i intend on hooking it up to my HDTV. in canada the standard HD a/v box is 39.99. the monster cable box set goes for 79.99. that 39.99 set's cables are atrocious, but monster's pack is exorbitantly priced. do you [xbox users] that run xbox on HD displays think its worth it?

thanks in advance for any responses

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
well...i went and picked them up - i'm going to try them tonight or this weekend to see if i notice a difference. the cables are definitely great quality...but ridiculously priced!

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I've read on different Xbox forums that some people couldnt tell the difference between the Microsoft and Monster versions. The ones that could normally said the differences were slight. I use the Microsoft HD pack with high quality Canare component cables that I already had with excellent results but I thought I would try the Monster ones. I bought them but never tried them since the cable is like 10 feet which is way too long. Didnt want the excess cable mess ;) Plus in addition to the cost of the cable you also need the proprietary Monster optical cable for digital sound :thumbsdown: If anyone wants an unopened Monster Xbox component cable email me.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I use the MS box for 19.95, it works great.

The difference is HUGE compared to my Gamecube with its RCA's on a 60" LCD.

I never imagined it would look as good as it does.

Soul Caliber is 720, and there are even a few 1080i games out there. The only problem with SC is that its 4:3 format, you can't get it to go 16:9 :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks