What's new

video inputs on my audio receiver (1 Viewer)

Jacob_R

Grip
On the back of my receiver I have video ins and outs. My receiver doesn't have an on-screen display, so I'm curious why they are even there. Will I find any noticeable benefit by having all my video cables run through my receiver? The manual says to connect them through, but that would mean I would have to buy an extra set of cables for my PS2, cable box, dvd player and vcr. It doesn't support component video cables, so I wouldn't worry about my dvd player. Anyhow, I just wanted to know what the benefit would be, and if it would be worth going through the hassle.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Jacob,

The benefit is ease of use with your television. They do this so you don't have to play around with the video inputs on your tv. Instead, you keep your TV on a single input, then just do the changing with your receiver.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
greg nailed it -
you can control all audio and video signals that way.
i run everything through my receiver. that way i have one "switching station" for all my audio/video signals. i run everything through it (cd, md, dvd, vcr, etc.) then i run one single cable to my tv's aux in plug.
some receivers even allow you to mix the signals. for example, you could record the signal from the vcr, but the audio from the cd player. i did this before to make a vhs-party tape - my friends loved it.
you mention your receiver does NOT have osd? but it has video inputs? that's kind of weird...you must have an older receiver.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Presumably, I guess if your TV has only one of the best connection, such as S-Video or component video, then that would be what you would use from the receiver and get the optimum picture.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks