What's new

Video Converting (1 Viewer)

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently purchased the Denon 4802. I have my Monitor out on the receiver connected to my RPTV with component cables. I have 2 other pieces of equipment hooked up into the component inputs of the receiver. I can switch between these devices by selecting the input on the receiver, but by DirecTV is hooked up with S-Video. Is there anyway to have the Satellite come through the same component source so i can select all my devices without having to switch my TV input? I currently have to connect an s-video out on the recevier to my televsion and switch the input when switching between watching tv an watching DVD.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Your receiver will not convert one video type to another. You basically have 2 choices:

A) Buy the Denon 38xx that up-converts all the video to component.

B) Buy a universal remote that will flip both the receiver and the TV to keep things in sync. The One-For-All 7 is a nice unit for about $25.

Hope this helps.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I can understand the convenience of having all of your video signals come out the same component video outputs (either directly or upconverted), but what does that do to the eventual quality of the upconverted signals?
For instance, my wife and I are about to replace a 9 year-old 35'" tube TV with a newer one. Currently at the top of our list based on actual auditions is the Pioneer Elite 530. It is my understanding that the Elite 530 has the capability to convert 480i to either 480p or 1080i. Does having the composite or S-Video signals upconverted in a receiver degrade the video in comparison to a direct connection to this TV?
I hope what I am saying is clear, as I know very little about any TV manufactured in the last 8 years! :)
Michael

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have the touchscreen Denon remote that came with the receiver. Does anyone know a link to where i can get the descrete codes to switch directly to a video source on my tv rather than having to program a button to slect the video button 3 times each time i need to switch to a cretain video source?

bryan_chow

Agent
If your RPTV is 16:9 then having your SAT and DVD all go through component doesn't really make it more convenient since you would have to manually switch from 16:9 to 4:3 mode everytime you switch inputs.

By using different inputs for SAT and DVD (assuming your TV remembers the aspect ratio setting for each input) it automatically switches to the correct aspect ratio when you change inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks