What's new

Video connection for PS2? (1 Viewer)

Jason Hartman

Auditioning
I couldn't resist any longer. I just HAD to play Madden 2001 on the Playstation 2 so i went out and bought one last week. I rented Madden 2001 because 2002 is being released next week. Woohoo!!
Has anyone had much experience using different types of connections? My system currently includes a Toshiba 32" TV and my Denon 3801 so i have the ability to use S-video as well as component inputs.
Rather than use the standard/included composite video cable, i picked up a cheap S-video cable for use with the PS2. It was only $10. I'm just wondering if i should invent the $20-$30 to get the component video connector instead.
I've played Madden more than any other game so far so it's my best judge of the picture quality. With all of the straight lines in the game (yard markers, field boundaries, goal posts) i seem to see alot of flashing and blinking when looking down the field. Not real solid images. And i see a good amount of jaggies too.
Would getting the component video cable give me a significant improvement over my S-video and clear up some of the distortions and jaggies? And make the picture more stable over all?
Thanks alot for the advice!
Jason Hartman

ChrisV

Second Unit
Well, I've tried all 3, and settled on the component cable. The S-Video cable I tried really didn't seem to work very well, although it was a fairly cheap cable. The component is nice and crisp. Whether or not it would solve your problems, though, I'm not sure.
Hmm, not very helpful, eh?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jaggies aren't necessarily going to go away with any type of cable. Its all in how the game is programmed, unless it was programmed to be used in several resolutions or something.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I've found that the component cables make the games look much better than the cheap S-video cable I had before... But, of course, this is on my Toshiba 50H81...
If you want a good deal on some quality cables, check out Link Removed I bought the AR Pro Series Component PS2 cables. Very nice! Not worth wasting the money on Monster brand when there are quality cables like these around...
------------------
View Dr. Grall's DVD collection

brian a

Second Unit
i should invent the $20-$30 to get the component video connector instead
are you a counterfeiter???
wink.gif

brianca

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I second Andrew's recommendation for the AR Pro Series component cable and the recommendation for AVConnect (I buy all of my AR cables from them). Just be aware that the AR (and Monster) component cables are Video only. When using these cables you will have to run the audio through a toslink cable to your receiver.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
brianca,
Funny!
laugh.gif

Tim,
I thought you would have to use the optical out with any component cable?
I third (fourth) the use of component cable. Those A/R's are a good price. I got my Gamelink 400 on discount when I worked at Best Buy.
Troy
------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Troy - The Sony component cables come with audio also. Some of the cheaper ones might also but I haven't personally seen them.

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Because of these recommendations I ordered an AR Preo S-Video cable. When I hooked it up it made a BIG difference. On GT3 and NCAA Football you could make out the little things such as writing that was previously fuzzy and so forth. I would also highly recommend these cables.
------------------
You've never worked in the private sector. They expect results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks