VHS retirement policy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I was looking over my video collection at the weekend, and it got me to thinking! How many of you have already thrown out your entire video collection. I know this is the Home Theater Forum, and video doesn't really have a place here, but already owning the video, does have a distinct bearing on whether I buy the DVD. For instance, if the DVD version is featureless, not remastered, and not in 5.1, I WONT buy the DVD. Likewise, I think many old films have a certain charm when viewed with a scratchy print and a noisy soundtrack. Is this blasphemy?
    I know its probably an issue of TV size for mnay people, but most of my videos look fine on my (non-HD) 42"er. Another annoying thing is.... you can't sell them without only for a few pounds/dollars per tape. And I'd rather keep em, than sell them for that much!
    Any opinions!

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Here's how I handle it:
    If I hear a DVD is on-the-way for a film I own a storebought VHS of, then I put the VHS in a box in the closet where I store these things.
    I don't toss out or otherwise get rid of anything; I've too often regretted that with comic books, records, video games, etc. I think I'll be a packrat and store these for at least a little while.
    Even if the title is still a looooong way off, then I still put the VHS away. With all the titles I own, there is no discomfort in waiting to watch just one title.
    I tend to hope that the DVD is done justice. Even if it is just a bare-bones disc, though, I still would rather have the DVD quality and permanence over VHS any day. I used to justify P&S DVD's that way, but now I at least am discriminating enough to refuse to buy those...it's just not necessary.
    Those are my thoughts...
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Videos is one of the best things that get money from yard or tag sales. Putting 2 to 5 dollars on a store bought video walks right from table with out much challenge. Store it like David suggests and sell it when you have enough. The really good ones I keep for the guess room since it has a vcr and t.v. just to give guest a choice of something to watch. Usually they find them selves downstairs.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Actually, I never really collected VHS.I saw the evil in VHS [​IMG] so I really only have about 2 store bought VHS tapes. The other side of the coin though is that I have a ton of movies that a friend recorded off of laserdisc and DVD for me back before I had a DVD player, there is like 60 of these movies I got from him over the years (all in their OAR) so I'll keep those but I'm quietly working on upgrading those to DVD. The 2 store bought VHS tapes I had in the closet so I never have to remember that insidious evil also I don't want to give myself nightmares [​IMG]
    -Keith-

5. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

When the DVD comes out to replace a VHS tape, I trash the tape. So far I have replaced about 700. Have purchased another 200 DVD's that I had no tapes to replace. I have about 1300 VHS tapes to go.
    I hold onto the tapes until the DVD is released. I suspect that it could be years (if ever) for some of the classic films in my collection to get placed on DVD.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I only owned about 15 movies on VHS, since I never considered VHS a collectible format. I gave most of them to my parents (that reminds me, it's time to give them my VHS copy of "Citizen Kane").
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I, too, never collected many VHS tapes. The majority of the onew I bought were tapes in OAR. As I replace a tape with the DVD, I have been giving the VHS tapes to my two daughters. They also appreciate seeing movies in OAR.

8. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I gave my collection of roughly 15 VHS tapes (including a LBX Das Boot and PS Star Wars OT) to my mom, when I gave her my VCR (never use it anymore).
    She's happy with it.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

9. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I Used to mainly rent VHS, But obviously I did Buy. I have got pretty much all my VHS collection back on DVD except for a few.
    Drop Dead Fred
    Radio Flyer
    Best Of The Best
    Child's Play 3
    I have not bought a VHS in a year or so.
    DVD is my best friend [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003344.html

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I have boxes and boxes full of VHS tapes.Ill never get rid of them as theyre full of stuff we'll never see on DVD.
    I said way back when DVD will never fully replace VHS,just like music-plenty still use cassettes even though CD's are the norm. VHS will always be around.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

11. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Have over 150 VHS tapes left; I gave the ones I bought in DVD format to family and friends. Will keep the rest and still buy older horror titles on VHS, as I too like the way they look on tape [​IMG]

12. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

About 2 years ago I gave most of my pre-recorded VHS tapes to some friends. The rest are in boxes in the bottom of a closet. There's quite a few things taped off the TV that I'd like to keep an archive of despite the crummy quality (sporting events, specials etc.) When DVD-R becomes more of a reality, I'll back these things up to DVD and toss the tapes.
    That's pretty much what I've done with my audio cassettes...
    -Steve

13. Mike Clark

Mike Clark Auditioning

I seem to remember someone here asking for old VCR tapes for some charitable organization. For some reason I seem to recall it being a veteran's home in this particular case. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
    Either way though, I'm sure there are many organizations that would be glad to take your old tapes off your hands. You might even be able to get the to write you a receipt for a tax deductible donation (maybe $5/tape?)
    Just a suggestion.

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

If I own a VHS of a film that is not announced for DVD at all, chances are I still own it (ex: Shock Treatment, Explorers, D.A.R.Y.L., and so on).
    If I own a VHS of a film that is announced for DVD... to eBay I go! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
    My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

15. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I only have a few VHS left
    Star Wars (Classic and SE both in OAR)
    Roman Holiday
    Experiment in Terror
    Escape from NY (SE with the interview and opening deleted scene not available on the DVD; hopefully the new one)
    ET (THX WS)
    And a couple of misc ones.
    I sold or gave away the rest of my collection from years ago. I gave a few like Indiana Jones and BTTF to my parents but I can borrow them when I want.

16. erik bush

erik bush Agent

when i got my dvd player i sold off every vhs tape i could (for 5 bucks a tape!!) and then gave what i couldn't sell to my brother.
    no vhs for me. [​IMG]
    ~erik
    ------------------
    my dvd list
    "what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

17. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

As Mike mentioned above, probably the best thing to do with these old VHS tapes is to donate them to a charitable organization. I know the public library system where I live are happy to have them and if you can itemize your taxes, you can write them off as a charitable contribution.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

18. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I put my 27" T.V. and VCR in my boys room. I have a large collection of kids VHS movies (Disney and the like), that they watch. As they wear out, they're not replaced except as a DVD. I have duplicated some early with DVD, the ones I want (Goonies, etc...).
    Todd
    ------------------

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I never really owned that many VHS titles (maybe 15-20).
    I have replaced everyone of the movies except the ones not released on DVD yet, of course, such as Raiders and Star Wars. I really should try selling what I have on EBay.

20. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I'd suggest your local computer user group's swap meet (if they have one). I dumped all of my VHS tapes back in 1989 at the Houston Area Apple Users Group swap meeting. Got pretty decent prices for 'em. (I was moving to LaserDisc.)
    -greg