Vetoed by wife on Willy Wonka

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Schick, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

My wife was looking through the Sunday ads and saw the Willy Wonka 30th Anniversary disk in the BB ad. She is a HUGE fan of this movie and said we had to get this disk.
    Well... I started to explain the whole problem with the upcoming 30th Anniversary release. I didn't have to explain the OAR thing to her, as we've already been through this and she agrees on that point. However, She said that for WW she doesn't care and that if I wanted to buy any more DVD's, she WILL get this disk. [​IMG]
    At least she's going to pay for it, and she can watch it on the Family room system with a 4:3 TV.
    Any one else in this boat?
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
    My DVD Profiler Collection

2. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

Sorry dude!
    Being single, I am the master of my own destiny. I'm going to need support, though, because for as strongly as I feel I should not buy this, I could falter in a moment of weakness. Anyway, I've still got my old version, and I'll maybe rent the new one(if I can find it, that is).
    robyn

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Did you tell her that a new widescreen version may be coming out that she'll also have to buy?
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

4. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Me and my fiancee don't buy non-OAR DVDs...bless her. [​IMG]
    Last night, she watched the DRACULA 2000 DVD on our Home Theater. I wasn't home at the time. When I got home, I saw that she had placed my mattes on our RPTV...I was suprised! I thought I was the only "matte" nut in our house. I asked her why she did it...she said that she couldn't stand seeing the slightly off-black black bars...she had all of the lights out.
    That's my girl! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    LuvLBX

5. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

No way would I allow my wife to purchase the DVD - no matter how much she likes the movie. In fact the more she liked the movie, the easier I would find it to persuade her not to buy something that isn't done properly.
    She should also look at the bigger picture - if she buys Willy Wonka then it will send a message to WB which tells them that their consumer feedback is right - then all the other family movies she gets will also be P&S.
    I think I'll bite my tongue now before I get myself into trouble [​IMG]
    Don

6. Ike Graul

Ike Graul Auditioning

Steve,
    I respect your decision to lose the battle on this one. There are very few things in this world more important that winning the OAR war. Your marriage is one of them.
    i

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Grounds for divorce! [​IMG]

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Glad to see you tried, but also glad to see you realized what was really important.
    Remember-it's only a movie!

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Steve,
    Go on ebay and buy a copy of the previous wonka which is OAR and stop her from buying the upcoming monstrosity. It might cost more, but it'll be worth it. Cheaper than a divorce lawyer [​IMG].
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I gotta agree with Brett on this one. Stand your ground. You can't sacrifice your morals for this woman. If you get a decent jury you'll do alright. [​IMG]
    Sometimes it's good to be single.
    [Edited last by Keith Mickunas on August 20, 2001 at 05:39 PM]

11. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

Well, if I had a wife, I would let her get away if it (She wants it regardless of what is going on). But she better not even complain about having a headache at night, or it's on!

12. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

13. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

I think George has the right solution. If she absolutely must have this movie, then make it a point to find the previous widescreen version, no matter how much it costs.
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, I can see the divorce attorney collecting your 'peers' by asking, "Do you watch all of your movies OAR? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Glenn

15. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Why not suggest that she buy the 30th anniversary Wonka on VHS and watch it until the OAR DVD comes out?

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Guys, guys, guys...leave the man alone. He didn't come here seeking advice, just wanted to get it off his chest, from the looks of things. Those who said to him "Your marriage is more important than OAR" and "it's only a movie" are right on-the-money. It wouldn't be worth my marriage to dictate my moral stands to my spouse...that's HER business and HER decision.
    I am very glad that my wife agrees with me on OAR...but she is struggling to hold fast and refuse the animated LoTR disc when it ships, if it too turns out to be full-screen (as everyone is certain it will be). I have had the full discussion with her on the merits of the boycott, and then I left it in her hands. She has struggled with it, but as of now she has no intention to buy it. I think she won't. But, when she sees the blasted thing sitting on the shelf, she may grow weak.
    I'm certain that this is what Sauron, uh...excuse me, I mean Slugworth, uh...I mean WARNER intends. To tempt us and to destroy our resistance. But I intend to hold fast, and I can only hope that everyone else does, too. But if my wife cannot resist...I won't love her any less!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
    [​IMG]
    (Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

18. Mike A

Mike A Agent

My girlfriend loves and wants WW on DVD. I promised her that I would buy Willy Wonka when it was re-released!!! Needless to say, I haven't said anything about the re-release being fullscreen because I don't want to buy it period and I won't. I'm still crossing my fingers hoping an anamorphic widescreen release will be forthcoming.
    What she don't know, won't hurt me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Mitsubishi 55807
    Toshiba 5109
    Yamaha RX-V496
    DVD Collection
    [Edited last by Mike A on August 20, 2001 at 08:55 PM]

19. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

well...I tried to explained to her again what the problem was, and that I, along with my HTForum brethren, was boycotting this release.
    Her immediate words were "I don't care, I want this disk because of all the extras. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch"
    That's just what I'll do.
    Not watch.
    And I'll be damned if she will corrupt our child with the evils of Pan&Scam.
    I'll just go downstairs. To the home theater.
    And play the Die Hard Collection VERY LOUD!
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
    My DVD Profiler Collection

20. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Steve,
    You do what you have to. I know that its better to have the "other half" on your side than against it. ( Otherwise, how could I justify getting all my videogames & DVD's?)
    [​IMG]
    Calvin
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."