Very Tentative - possible Blu-ray Disc release of Giant

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Yorkshire, May 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    Many apologies if there's word of this already, and please accept the caveats offered.The BBFC Recent Decisions page has just posted two notices for supplementary materials for Giant.These are for two parts of an audio commentary marked:1 - GIANT [Additional material,Audio commentary by Stephen Farber,Ivan Moffat and George Stevens Jr.] (104 mins)2 -GIANT [Additional Material,Audio commentary by Stephen Farber,Ivan Moffat and George Stevens Jnr. - Part 2] (88mins53)The running times, sadly, appear to correspond to those on the UK SD DVD (in other words with PAL speedup, indicating a DVD rather than a 24fps Blu-ray Disc).However, the BBFC has taken to publishing only one decision when a film is (re)released on both DVD and Blu-ray Disc at the same time. As this hasn't had an SD DVD release for over a decade it would be pretty standard to put out a new DVD at the same time as the Blu-ray Disc, particularly if there was new a new commentary.In addition, as is usual for releases, the decision states:"The version of this work detailed above is rated by the BBFC under the Video Recordings Act 1984 for use on any Packaged Media format (including DVD, Blu-ray and VHS)."If the DVD release coincides with that on a second format, I'm personally hoping that's on Blu-ray Disc, as opposed to the VHS option.Here's hoping.Steve W

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    You might want to read this thread as Giant won't be the only James Dean film coming out on BD this year. Also, George Stevens Jr. worked on preparing Giant for BD release while doing the same for Shane.

Yorkshire likes this.
  3. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    Many thanks. I did a search and couldn't find it - I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but started to doubt my own memory.
    Unfortunately there's no release date listed yet (they occasionally do this at the BBFC), but it's rare that a decision sits around too long before a release.
    As examples, extras for Django Unchained have just gone up on the 9th of May, and that's coming out in the UK on the 20th. Cronenberg's The Brood was certified on the 8th of May and that's due on the 8th of July - that two month gap is one of the longer waits.
    I'll try to remember to keep an eye on it, and will post an update on anything else that's revealed.
    Steve W

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I'm pretty sure the James Dean films are coming out in either the 3rd or 4th quarter.

5. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Looking forward to having the James Dean canon of films available in restored form on HD...since this is a key part of Warner's 90th Anniversary celebration, I'm expecting nothing short of greatness from this set of movies!!!

6. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    This is the only James Dean film I've ever really enjoyed - will be great to have it on BD.

JohnRa likes this.
  7. kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle Stunt Coordinator

Really? I think this is easily the least of his films. So much so that if I had to buy them separately, I'd probably skip Giant.

8. BRAD1963

BRAD1963 Stunt Coordinator

BRAD
    The James Dean films have been on my want list since the inception of Blu ray. Giant on DVD is not anamorphic so that upgrade will be appreciated.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Why do you act surprise? Film taste varies among the population as many people think Giant is a great film as do many, think the same of Rebel Without a Cause and East of Eden.

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Actually, as I recall, the Canadian DVD was anamorphic. But it looked like crap.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    That is correct about it being anamorphic, I'm talking about the 2000 release.

12. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    I have both the Canadian and the US dvd releases and both look worn and not very sharp with the Canadian disc looking better with
    brighter colors. TCM did broadcast the Canadian version a week ago and i did dvr it and compared it to the 2 dvd releases.