What's new

Very Tempting (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
This $199 Xbox. But I just sold my PS2, mainly because I really was'nt playing it all that much, and that mainly because it looked awful on my 65" WS Mits. I would imaginge XBOX would fare better with it's Hi Def pak, I Still love my Dreamcast hooked to a VGA Monitor it's hard to beat. I still fear XBOX my head down the same Sega path... whatcha all think?

BTW if I have my 65807 connected to a DTC100 thru a transcoder how could I hook up the Xbox? I'd like to hear how the system looks on Big TV's from Syatem Owners, compared to the PS2

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt the XBOX will suffer the same fate as Sega with the Dreamcast, I mean come on this is Microsoft we are talking about they have the money to insure that it doesn't fail, plus as far as I can tell they are in the number 2 spot as far as systems sold and there 3rd party support from Sega and some other major players is enough for me. :) I've heard that the XBOX has a much better picture then the PS2, and can say so on my 27' inch, but I don't have a bigger TV to test it on, but I'd imagine so.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Microsoft had deep pockets but I can't believe they'd stay in a buisness if they are losing huge amounts of cash. Look at ultimate TV they cashed that in pretty quickly. Another problem that worries me is Port Itis. Instead of develping more games like Halo they are porting alot of PSX2 Games

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I am also very tempted. I don't see how the X-Box could be failing, I mean everywhere you go it's X-Box this, X-Box that. Is it a lack of good games? How are the games overall compared to the PS2's?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
How are the games overall compared to the PS2's?
The only way to answer this question is to say that there are less of them right now. Games are as diverse as movies, you really have to look at what you like to play and see what titles match your interests. Pay close attention to the E3 coverage next week, it should give you a good indication on whether the Xbox is the right system for you.

As for the Xbox failing? There's not a chance in hell that the Xbox will go the way of the DC.

Dean

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ultimate TV is different, they realized the market was small to begin with. The PVR market is TINY compared to the console market.
Financial analysts belive that Microsoft is prepared to lose a billion or more dollars on the XBox and not break even until 2004.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
What is a billion to Microsoft? (Bill Gates probably makes that in a week) As long as Microsoft supports XBOX, it will not fail. I am going to be purchasing an XBOX in the next couple of weeks because, the games interest me. I have gotten to the point where the games that I want to play add up to more than one hand (I CAN'T do that on PS2). Think of all the great games that are coming... Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Crazy Taxi 3, the Panzar Dragon series, Halo 2, Microsoft's Age of Empires series, and rumors of Grand Theft Auto 4 and Virtual Fighter 4. Microsoft's Online strategy, their great peripherals, their deep pockets! It is all good :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If MS has deep pockets, then Sony's pants are just really long pockets. Sony is just as (if not more) rich as MS.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
The thing you forget is that if Microsoft keeps losing money on the Xbox and it doesn't do any better than it is now (and it's not doing well), MS's board of directors and investors are going to scream for MS to get out of the hardware business before it's too late. You think Bill can just spend the money as he pleases? Cmon. Microsoft was recently forced to drop their .net uber-internet plans because it was failing, and they'll do the same if they have to with the Xbox.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Ok, I've decided to get an X-Box, mainly for Halo and Star Wars games. Quick question, what do I need to buy for the system in order to get 5.1 sound and S-Video out of it? Man, I hope this system lasts at least 4 more years.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Travis, you need to get the hi-def AV pack for Component video and 5.1 dolby digital sound. KBToys is having a half price sale on all accessories right now, so it's only about $15.

For $199, I can't see why you wouldn't jump on any of these great systems. What's $199? Even if Microsoft gets out in two years, the gaming library for X-Box will be good enough to justify the $200 price right now...you will always have the DVD capabilities down the road regardless and that's good enough for me.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The .net situation is so completely different that it cannot be compared to Xbox. .net requires a paradigm shift in the IT industry; the Xbox is a new console.

In addition, .net was scaled back, but not dropped.

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
...but back to Dave's original question (sorry, I just realized how off-topic my previous post was)

Dave, the Xbox looks great on a large HDTV. I have both a PS2 and a Xbox hooked up to a Sony 57", and the Xbox just smokes the PS2 in visual quality. I've had both systems hooked up to a Mits, Toshiba, and Sony, and the 480p signal makes a huge difference on the Mits & Sony (not so much of a difference on the Toshiba).

-Dave

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Count me as one of the new people picking up an XBox after the price drop. I've currently got a PS2 and I'm happy with it but the $199 price tag is just too good to pass up. I wanna play games with real DD 5.1 and HiDef on my Mits 65907. That's what gaming's all about! :D I can't wait to start playing Halo.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Travis, you need to get the hi-def AV pack for Component video and 5.1 dolby digital sound.
Does the Hi-Def Pack also support S-Video? I don't have a Hi-Def set yet so S-Video is as good as it's gonna get for me for a while. Also, does the Hi-Def Pack come with an optical digital cable or do you have buy one separate?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Travis... no s-video on the High-Def pack (only the Advanced Pack). Also... it is BYOC on the optical cable (they are around $12 at Target last time I checked).

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
In its latest SEC report, Microsoft disclosed that it has $40+ billion in cash and is adding approximately $1 billion every couple of months. Put simply, Microsoft has more cash on hand than any of the top 5 largest publicly-traded companies combined! Or, enough money to buy every single professional sports team in the U.S.
The point of course is that Microsoft is going to underwrite the Xbox until it becomes successful. Much as they did with their Internet properties (which continue to lose millions), the Xbox is an important component to getting Microsoft into the home .. much more so than a PVR. As someone mentioned earlier, the video game market is a proven $10 billion industry which will only continue to grow. The Xbox ain't going anywhere....

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I don't know guys everyone I talk to say they ain't buying XBox even at $199 till it get some games they want to play. I Kinda agree I looked at EB's today (and let me tell you the place was dead so all those new $199 tags on all the PS2 and XBOX's was falling on deaf ears) and Besides Halo and Maybe Dead or Alive, I have to admit te games available did'nt really scream Play Me.Especially since I played alot of them already on PS2

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I wanna play Obi-Wan and Jedi Starfigher: Special Edition, WWF: Raw looks pretty fun too. I'm also looking forward to Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind and Star Wars; Knights of the Old Republic. Those games all look very fun and I love Star Wars games. Hell, I bought a Gamecube just to play Rogue Leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks