What's new

Very Basic Question about speakers (1 Viewer)

Marcus D

Agent
I am want to be able to run my speakers through my VCR. Someone told me that the speakers sound better when going through the VCR. I have a DVD player, stereo receiver, 2 speakers, VCR, and TV. What should be connected to what for each of these to be able to get sound on my speakers through my VCR.

Thanks

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Well I don't know who told you that but I don't think it's quite right. You should run your dvd audio directly to you reciever. you could also run audio out from your reciever to your tv to create a sort of center channel if you like? does your reciever have prologic?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It is not true that running all your audio connections through the VCR will improve the sound.

But if your TV does not have audio outs, then tuning in broadcasts with the TV will put the sound only on the TV's speakers. By using the VCR to tune in broadcasts, the VCR can send the picture to the TV and the sound to your sound system, using the VCR's audio outs.

Your receiver may have special inputs and outputs (both audio and video) for your VCR. If not, just connect both the video out and audio outs of the VCR to an empty input slot of your receiver. Then the VCR's audio will come out your system speakers.

When using the antenna out of the VCR to the TV, the VCR sound will only come out the TV's speakers. In order to record something and watch something else you need the antenna out of the VCR going to the TV as well as the video/audio outs of the VCR going to the receiver. When actually viewing the something else you must be tuning in channel 3 or 4 on your TV with the system speakers turned down and the TV speaker supplying the sound.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Marcus,
Actually you want to run your VCR through your speakers. I assume you’re already getting the VCR’s picture on-screen somehow. So all you need to do is connect the VCR’s audio output jacks to an unused input on the receiver. Any input except one labeled “Phono” will do.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks